Electronic cabinet locks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Back in 2021, I purchased a number of 'Electronic Cabinet Locks' (see pic below) from eBay for a project. For those interested, the idea was a kind of cheap Amazon locker distribution mechanism for a sports club. The club locks a purchase in a locker and programs a unique 4 digit code, advises the purchaser of the locker number and code and they collect when they next visit the club. The idea was that the management password could then be used to return the lock to default ready for the next use. The design would be mean that it would also be possible for players to use them to secure valuables while playing. Needless to say the project was delayed, etc. ...

I am now trying to get these 'generic' locks to work. My problem is that they are not working inline with the instruction manual. The lock's instruction leaflet is labelled KP-E-603. However, two things in the instructions do not work in any of the locks (so I'm sure it's not a faulty lock).

Firstly, the instructions say that 'once the manager's password is used to open the lock, the user's password will be returned to the default of 1234'. This does not happen. The user password (if changed from the default of 1234) remains the same.

Secondly, when using public mode and a temporary password, the instructions say that the temporary password can only be used once. This is not true, once a temp password has been set, it remains set regardless of the number of times used. Turning off 'public mode' does not either remove the temp user set password or return the system to default.

The instructions also say that 'if the password is forgotten you can get the decode number by providing the code on the lock to the distributor'. The decode number resets everything to default apparently. Needless to say, the eBay vendor has been less than helpful.

A sample lock has the serial number/code: 2003B-000062727 and I know that that in that code is a sequence i can enter to set everything to default. I've searched the web and simply can't find any information of these locks. Has anyone got any information on these locks on either how they actually work or how to dig out the decode code from the serial number? Thanks.

s-l140.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I am now trying to get these 'generic' locks to work. My problem is that they are not working inline with the instruction manual. The lock's instruction leaflet is labelled KP-E-603. However, two things in the instructions do not work in any of the locks (so I'm sure it's not a faulty lock).

Google doesn't produce any results for KP-E-603, could you provide a link to the original ad?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
these locks are not complex enough to have the serial flashed into ROM. That security feature is left to more secure systems.
There will be a default hard coded code which will have a master and perhaps 2 predefined users. These would normally be on a label when you bought it or perhaps still inside the case. Once you do a factory reset, these combinations will come into play if you had previously changed them

The reset is performed with the think wire....my guess would be either insert and hold whilst powered or remove battery, insert wire, insert battery or some such combo.
Once factory reset (should be audible but might be an led) then try obvious like 0000 or 1234..it will be a simple combo
Search for similar looking locks, they will all work the same way

I would be looking at codelocks….
are sure sure you have set the cock for public mode first ?
eg instructions for how the code lock version works below

Attachments

• 6AE23D70-69A8-4D59-B4EC-43985D349001.png
    6AE23D70-69A8-4D59-B4EC-43985D349001.png
    675.4 KB · Views: 42
  • E0641688-55C2-49A9-9DA0-3C9DCD842CBC.png
    E0641688-55C2-49A9-9DA0-3C9DCD842CBC.png
    607 KB · Views: 48
Thanks for the replies and apologies for the delayed follow-up. Been away.

So, firstly, @sparkymarka, yes, i'm sure I've set public mode according to the instructions I received with the locks. I've just been through the process again and there is (i) no doubt the process was followed correctly and (ii) that using the manager password does not reset the temp password, and that the temp password stays set regardless.

I then read the instructions you posted above, thanks very much. After a bit of fiddling i think I may have cracked it. It appears that the position of the lock (i.e. open or closed) is material. Therefore, subject to some more fiddling (which I don't have time for now but will do this week), it seems that the public mode works when the temp code is set if the lock is 'open'. It also seems that, if the temp key is set with the lock open, use of the master password does nullify the temp key - which is described behaviour. I'll play some more and confirm that.

@old duffer , much appreciate your input. As I understand what you have told me, there is a physical way to reset the locks using a wire. Looking at the rear of the locks i can see two holes (well, 4 holes - but two of there are for fixing screws), one of which is labelled 'RST' - presumably reset. I'd tried sticking a pin in to 'hold down' a reset switch to no avail, but, given what you have said, am now thinking that perhaps these are terminals and if i stick a wire between then it may short something to reset especially if i removed and insert the battery or power it up via the usb port. Again, I'll have a play and report back.

The packaging does have a label (shown below) but i can't see a reset code in it. The QR code just gives me 1216300A2 which is the code at the top. The key pad only has 1-5 and 'OK'. So, as there is no zero on the keypad, I'm struggling to see how the reset code could be buried in that label.

Thanks for the help.

image_2023-01-09_145028474.png

One will be reset back to factory default (clears rom flash) and the other might be write to rom (allow entering new codes but that would seem complex for a low cost product)
ROM will need power to erase so you need to experiment with the battery power process.

@old duffer when you say 'one will be for', it sounds like you don't think it is a short across the two. There doesn't appear to be a micro switch in there. So do it need a voltage in there from somewhere or something?

@old duffer when you say 'one will be for', it sounds like you don't think it is a short across the two. There doesn't appear to be a micro switch in there. So do it need a voltage in there from somewhere or something?

I would guess at it needing a pin pulled logic high or low, to enable programming. Likely it will be a common pic, is there a number on the IC of the unit?

Well, a brief update: I've given up trying to work out how to do a hard reset. I took the unit apart (see below) and have tried various approaches to reset. The two holes (which are not screw holes) are over the beeper (the round object with the + sign on it) and directly over the USB housing (flat bit of metal bottom right). The hole over the USB housing is labelled 'RST'.

I've tried shorting between the two both with and without power (both battery and USB) and even shorting between them and then inserting battery. Nothing seems to reset the device.

What I did discover is that the two little green 'T's are the rear of the lights (green unlock, red lock) and if you slip and manage to short between the USB housing and the back of the green light (the one next to the USB housing) both lights come on for a while but it seems to have no effect.

There are no microswitches or pins to pull or adjust that i can see (and I've even used my reading glasses).

Unless, anyone has a any bright ideas i can try, I've reached the end of the road. The devices are useable for my purpose, but I have found no way to reset them.

locker lock internal 1.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back