Electronic TRVs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a radiator which is noisy when the TRV is in the partially closed state. Do electronic TRVs switch directly from open to completely closed or do they have a partially closed state?

Thanks
Tony

Sponsored Links
I have a radiator which is noisy when the TRV is in the partially closed state. Do electronic TRVs switch directly from open to completely closed or do they have a partially closed state?
Is the TRV complained about an "electronic" type?

What do you mean by "partially closed"?

A TRV is a proportional device; but, if incorrectly set up, can act as an on/off switch.

Electronic heads will modulate the valve opening in exactly the same way. in fact I have today booked a customer to have 6 tired bodies changed as they are rattling like hell with Evohome installed.

Do electronic TRVs switch directly from open to completely closed or do they have a partially closed state?

They have partially-closed states, and you may find them even noisier because the motor makes a noise too.

Sponsored Links

Thanks
Tony

Rather than replace with an "electric" TRV why not sort out the cause of the fault in the first instance. A tweak on the L/S would most probably cure it, if uni directional then fitting it on the right side could help, worst case a new TRV as the washer/plunger may be loose or worn. What sort of noise are we talking about?

Jon

The rad has a mechanical TRV. The room has a wood burning stove that is used occasionaly and so the TRV sometimes needs to shut off completely. The problem is that as the valve reaches the "almost completely closed" stage the flow through the valve is particularly noisy and it stays in that position instead of fully closing.

I'm not keen on that because the radiator is a 3m long single, so it needs quite a large flow to do its job.

I'm not keen on that because the radiator is a 3m long single, so it needs quite a large flow to do its job.

How much flow does it actually need then!!?? Whats you Delta T across flow and return at full bore? What TRV are you using? If you are not willing to try any advice then what is the point of asking? Oh and a bit of manners wouldn't go amiss either.

Sorry AquaheatI, i really did not imagine that anyone could possibly find my conversational approach offensive.

Thank you for your help.
Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back