eletrics ok

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick :?:

Im selling my house ( up 4 sale ), had the old fuse board replaced with a new one, my :?: is, will my eletrics ( sockets,lights switches ) be ok,
the sparky didn't report any faults nothing triped on the new fuse board,
he never looked at the lights, sockets, switches, but i suppose he would of been able to tell at the f/b end if there was any fault.

any imformation would be welcome, ( better safe than sorry) :)

Sponsored Links
he should have by law left you with an electrical installation certificate and prossesed a 'PART P' cert for you.
Was he PART P compliant, if not he was breaking the law and can be fined or locked up.

Vince

vince knight said:
he should have by law left you with an electrical installation certificate and prossesed a 'PART P' cert for you.
Was he PART P compliant, if not he was breaking the law and can be fined or locked up.

Vince

not if it was cash in hand

True, but the householder is going to have a bugger of a time proving it was done by a compitant person or firm if he don't have a part 'P' cert.

Vince

Sponsored Links
the sparky is part p compliant, and as breezer said it was cash in hand,
i can get cert if or when i need one
Iwas just wondering if the eletrics are ok if the f/b says no faults ( not that the fuse board can talk ) :LOL:
it's just he never checked sockets,lights switch etc,
so i take it alls well reguarding the eletrics.

markie said:
the sparky is part p compliant, and as breezer said it was cash in hand,
i can get cert if or when i need one
Iwas just wondering if the eletrics are ok if the f/b says no faults ( not that the fuse board can talk ) :LOL:
it's just he never checked sockets,lights switch etc,
so i take it alls well reguarding the eletrics.

if you change a battery in a car will it show up faults with lights etc? no? well dont expect change a CU so show dodgy wiring, loose connections at sockets etc. he should have tested it, but if cash in hand he probably didnt (OR he might have quickly tested but not completed any forms

vince knight said:
True, but the householder is going to have a b*****r of a time proving it was done by a compitant person or firm if he don't have a part 'P' cert.

Vince

why?

no wiring changed, nothing to say when it was done etc etc

Thanks guys for the replys.

all the lights and sockets work, i just thought if there was a fault of any form it would trip the relevant circuit.

The replacement of the fuseboard REQUIRES a full electrical installation cert period. NO EXCUSES. That is the law as it stands.
Whoever changed the board and re-energised it is now responsible for all of the circuits connected to it. If the householder gets electricuted or the house burns down, he is liable.
Get it tested and a cert issued.

Vince

vince knight

I am going to get a cert, just because im selling the house, if i was keeping it there wouldn't be any rush
the sparky contracts for my company and he's the bosses relation, so there's no prob get the cert
ps he gets his money when i sell the house so im sure if i need a cert to sell the house he will provide one ( pritty quick ) :LOL:

It is required that the cert is left before you leave the job.
How do you know that over time terminations have not worked lose and are arcing, cables have been chaffing under floors or across unbonded heating pipes, cpc's(earths) have come adift in a light fitting and so the rest of the lighting circuit has no earth. The list goes on.
Its your life and your house if your willing to take that risk then the best of British mate.

markie said:
PS.
can you sell a house/flat, with out a cert ?
even if you sell at auction

Yes, I expect if there are any irregualities, the serveyer spots dodgey DIY, or they think something was done that should have been notifyfied but wasn't, then the buyer will probably be advised to have a periodic inspection carried out

There is hell of a lot of electricial work that gets done thats not notified to building control but should be *glances at TT :LOL: *, its no different to the annomalies due to work on bathroom apliances (waste water, etc) and windows etc, might cause a minor hickup if someone questions it, but as long as the work its self is not dodgy and its just red tape thats missing, it doesn't present a massive problem as far as I am aware

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back