Wiring Check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have recently purchased a new house and Im gutting the place. I will be getting a sparky out to test and check the eletrics when upstairs is mostly done (in time for heating etc).

Anyway hoping to check this is ok to allow other work and avoid having a sparky out early.

The loft wiring splits the lighting circuit upstairs using a 30amp junction box (probably over kill). Takes the live to com in a pull cord live from L1 to lights. Neutral is jointed in the switch using a terminal connector and is all properly earthed.

This seems fine to me I just want to confirm its ok before boarding the loft.

Sponsored Links
If you've got an electrician coming to check things later, don't board the loft yet. Get him out now, then get him back later as well.

There is nothing altered in the loft with the exception of this. It seems relatively straight forwards so If it doesn’t contravene any regs Im happy to progress.

You must not hide/bury a screw terminal junction box.

Have it replaced with a Maintenance Free one if it cannot be rewired without one.

Sponsored Links
I would have the electrical test done before you complete any work at all, last thing you want is to nicely decorate upstairs to find out that floors, ceilings and walls will need to be disturbed.

Yep, if you need any rewiring then now is the time to do it. Better get an electrician out to have a look now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back