Eleven elbows just for water softener

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - this is my first post on this fantastic forum :) (or any internet forum, so please be gentle).

A plumber was sub-contracted to work on the refurbishment of my property (complete refurbishment) to replace the old lead pipework and install a Megaflo system (which we know other people have successfully done on our road).

The system also includes a water softener which (in my wooly understanding of this) will be used to soften both the cold water supply to the toilets, machines, and the Boiler + Megaflo feed.

However, in a visit to the property, I found that the plumber has made no less than eleven right-angle turns in a small section of pipe just to accommodate the water softener. Please see photo attached (not all elbows visible).

View media item 79368
My concern is twofold:

1. will this affect water flow to the Megaflo system (installed in the loft)

2. if the flow is high, will this just generate an enormous amount of noise?

If this setup is really a problem, would it not be doable to use the flexible hoses of the Tapworks softener more creatively to connect to a pipe with fewer elbows?

Many thanks to all in advance!

Sponsored Links
Technically he has only used 5 or 6 elbows, but like his plumbing, your photography is shyte.

Any chance of a better shot for context?

But, yes, the Tapworks kit could do away with most of that pipe work

That pipe running along the floor :eek: :?: could just have one bend going up to the pipe vanishing (I presume) into the boxing with the taps work kit intercepting it enroute with 2 bends/streets.

Thanks for the swift reply

Technically he has only used 5 or 6 elbows, but like his plumbing, your photography is shyte.

Any chance of a better shot for context?

Technically it is my wife's photography you are judging ;), however, there was a 2 1/2 year old running around on site... Something had to give. I will try to get a better photo tomorrow and post it then.

But, yes, the Tapworks kit could do away with most of that pipe work

That pipe running along the floor could just have one bend going up to the pipe vanishing (I presume) into the boxing with the taps work kit intercepting it enroute with 2 bends/streets.

That would seem like common sense to me... but what do I know?! Thanks for confirming.

What do you think would be the consequences of leaving that pipe work as it is?

In reality, very little. But It would annoy the arris off me if it was my pipe work... but then I do it for a living.

I hate wonky pipes, especially when they are mine.

Sponsored Links
Here is a more detailed picture.

View media item 79406
The mains supply comes from a 25mm blue pipe which you can hopefully see towards the lower right corner.

Would anyone want to offer any additional comments?

There is an interesting new development now: the plumber now says that our 250l megaflow is taking 15 minutes to fill, and that this is too long.

Is it true that 15 minutes is too long? If so, could this be related to the number of bends visible in the picture (and maybe a number of other hidden elsewhere)?

Well thats 16 litres a minute.... what is your flow rate at the garden tap, or on a pipe down by the stop cock.

Has he checked the filters? Judging by the amount of solder he's got through there could be all manner of shit in the pressure reducing valve regulator.

lets be fair, it aint the best looking pipework but its far from the worst. It looks an ok job and the number of bends wont effect anything that you would noitice.

The lack of flow on the other hand...

I'm not surprised the workmanship is so poor if it's London.

I'd question any so called Plumber that doesn't use a pipe bending machine.
The UFH pipes should be sleeved as it exits the concrete floor.

If the 'Plumber' is a Subbie of the Builder, hold money back from them until they get a fully qualified tradesman in to get the work done to a better standard. YOU are paying for that pile of sh.t!!

P.S. Your incoming mains water pipe is passing through a heated floor, do you want legionella in your home? That's a very serious fault in the installation!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back