Email spam or virus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I received an email today i thought it was from a friend as his name was on the email, opened up it was a message from some electric shop eoffor.com,i did not click on the link for the site, looked on the net says it is a spam or virus, anybody got any ideas on what i should do it was on my google email account no important info on there.

Sponsored Links
Did the email address you fully by name, or was it more generic like dear sir/madam? 'phishing' tends to be more generalised as they often don't know your full name.

What was the email concerning, can you provide any further information? It's possible it could be legitimate, however if you're in any doubt it would best to delete it.

Assuming that it was relevant, and you have deleted it - rest assured, if it's important information they'll be in touch in some way.

As a rule, if you ever receive an email pertaining to banking, billing or money matters where your personal details (account no's, postcodes, telephone numbers etc etc) have to be entered by email or a link clicked - just bin it.

No it is spam email or virus posted in a friends email name, looked up the web site name and other people have recieved the same thing what should i do, i have deleted it .

If you get anymore, do not even open them.

Click 'Create A Filter' above the email inbox, to the right of the search bar.

It should open a filter window with the email senders adderess in it.

If you are certain it is spam:

Click Next Step. and tick 'Delete It' and also 'Never send it to spam',

Then click Create a Filter.

Sponsored Links
No it is spam email or virus posted in a friends email name, looked up the web site name and other people have recieved the same thing what should i do, i have deleted it .

Cool, job done then - better to err on the side of caution...always.

Dave thanks i deleted it before you answered so i dont think i can do what you have suggested.When i was looking at my email a friends email name came up in the inbox ,clicked on it and it was some electric company as i have stated above and i didnt click onto their web site link,how do you think they posted it by using my friends email address.

A spam trojan is probably on a computer somewhere that has either received or sent emails to you and your friend. That could be where the connection between the two email addresses comes in.

Or an email that has been forwarded to several recipients addressed as 'cc' and not 'bcc' so all the names are on show.
You know, when someone receives a funny email that has done the rounds and all the previous addresses are visible, then they simply click 'Forward' and send it and all those addresses to everyone in their address book, then sit back and think they are clever passing on a funny email.
It only takes one infected computer to receive about ten of this type of email and the trojan has a list of about five hundred names and addresses to pass back to their 'owner' for them to then use as spam addresses and addressees.

dave

So dave i have opened the email but not clicked on the website, does this still mean my e address can still be used to send spam to other computers ,also i have looked up that web site and people who have also been sent this email have said that they can no longer get into their email as their passwords have been changed.

Your address could be used by the spammer to send spam emails as if they were genuine emails from you to anyone who he has an address for, not necessarily people whom you know.

Theere is nothing you can do to stop that happening now that your address is known. They will only use it for a day or so, so don't worry about it.

As for getting infected, malware etc cannot get onto your computer via an email, only either by you clicking on a link to go to a web site or by you clicking to open an attachment to the email. As you didn't click the link, you are fine.

Just to put your mind at rest you can download and run a scan with Malwarebyte Anti Malware (MBAM)

please download MalwareBytes' AntiMalware using the BLUE button for the FREE version.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to the following:

o Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
o Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

* Then click Finish

If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.

* Once the program has loaded, select > Perform Quick Scan, then click > Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click > OK, then > Show Results to view the results. It will most likely say nothing was detected, in that case just close the program. If it did find anything:
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click > Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Save this log to My Documents in case it is needed for reference.

It is worth keeping on your computer and updating and running a quick scan once a week. It only takes 2 or 3 minutes to run a scan so it is not time consuming.

dave

Didn't think for one minute that your computer would be infected, glad to hear it is clean.
Use MBAM once a week as it is an extra check that nothing is getting past your security software.

dave

Sponsored Links
Back