Spam shown as from my own domain.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I get variable amounts of spam shown as from my OWN domain name and being sent to my own domain.

Today was one of the worst with about 300 emails covering about eight different topics.

Now the odd part. I dont see why anyone would want to do this for the last three months.

Apparently from Eastern Europe or Russia

I dont get any complaining emails which I would expect if others are rceiving this in bulk! I reply "Spammer" to about one in twenty spams I receive!

What are they doing and why?

Sponsored Links
They are reading the email sent back to them saying "spammer" and thinking "oh goody - here is an active inbox - lets send him more spam".....

What internet security and antispam tools do you use?

Are you able to access mail on the server itself and set antispam rules?

What are they doing and why?

They are doing a technique called "spoofing" your domain name. The real domain that generated the e-mail can be located in the e-mail headers.
Most e-mail programs generally have an option that allows you to view it.
Yes the previous poster was correct in telling you that the "Spammer" mails you sent out simply gave those people a reason to KEEP spamming since you've now shown that your inbox is active.

People are starting to do the same thing with Text Messaging these days.

Now, to answer your question WHY?
Cause there is money involved. Simple as that.

Scammers prey off of vulnerable gullible that think the e-mail is legit and before you know it... Identity Theft.[/url]

Sponsored Links
I only reply "spammer" to spam sales emails from genuine firms, because I want them to spend time opening it and to see that I dont like it.

The very odd thing about these apparently sending from my own domain is that if I reply to them it comes to me at my catch all email addresses and does not go to them. Anyone they caught would have to use their link in the text!.

If they were really sending many to millions then at least some of them would write to me and say something ( bad ).

I had about 150 of these spams yesterday morning!

Back