Embarrissingly simple fused switch spur question!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry about this, but this is so simple it defeats google.

I need to change the fuse in a fused switch spur. Is switching off the switch on the fused switch spur sufficient, or do I need to turn off the mains power supply?

Sorry again for such a simple question. :oops:

Sponsored Links
You don't really need to open the switch to replace fuse.
I always would though, better to be off load than on load.
But you will not require to isolate the whole circuit, so switch off at the fused spur, then pull/gently prise the fuse-holder until open and fuse can be removed, then replace with the correctly rated fuse for the operation and protection of the load side cable and equipment.

You don't really need to open the switch to replace fuse.
I always would better to be off load than on load.
But you will not require to isolate the whole circuit, switch off, then pull/gently prise the fuse-holder until open and fuse can be removed, then replace with the correctly rated fuse for the operation and protection of the load side cable and equipment.

Many thanks. I didn't mean to imply I wanted to open up the switch. So I can turn off the switch and then it's safe to prise the fuse-holder open. I don't need to turn off the mains power supply.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sorry did not to mean to confuse you with terminology, an open switch means in the off position (as in open/closed circuit).
Yes just switch off at the fused connection (spur) and replace fuse as previous post. It should not be a hazard with the switch on (closed) but always better in my opinion to take the fuse off load even if the fuse has blown, as you will be replacing with good one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back