Embedding Screw Eyelet into Masonry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I have some large screw eyelets with 20mm ID.

I want to fix them into my garage brick wall, so I can pass my bicycle u-lock through them and lock my bike to it.

I know you can buy anchor eyelets, but the ID is too small for me to pass my lock through, so I need to use screw eyelets.

My question is, how do you secure them into masonry permanently? i.e. so that someone cannot undo them.

I tried grip fill in the hole, but I think it's too dusty to bond.

Would mortar work?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone

I have some large screw eyelets with 20mm ID.

I want to fix them into my garage brick wall, so I can pass my bicycle u-lock through them and lock my bike to it.

I know you can buy anchor eyelets, but the ID is too small for me to pass my lock through, so I need to use screw eyelets.

My question is, how do you secure them into masonry permanently? i.e. so that someone cannot undo them.

I tried grip fill in the hole, but I think it's too dusty to bond.

Would mortar work?

Thanks

Mortar - No
There are Eye Bolts with a 20mm ID and also lighter duty closed hook bolts.
While you could use a proper resin anchor you still need to clean out the hole of dust first and pay for the anchor!.

Get a straw, stick it in the hole, close your eyes and blow! I would have suggested goggles but this is the cheap way!
Get some Araldite mix up what you need and stuff it into the hole then put some on the thread of your eyelet and push it in. Leave for 24 hours and it will be ready.

There is a rapid version (rapid araldite) if you can work with it fast enough.

http://www.powertoolsdirect.com/araldite-standard-tubes-2-x-15ml?

.....or you could try drilling right through the garage wall and permanently fix a nut or summat, on t'uther side.

Once the lock's passed through them, surely it will be impossible to unscrew them anyway? Unless you're only using one!

Sponsored Links
You can get things like this real cheap:

ae235

They're usually referred to as 'ground anchors'. The bolts can't be removed once installed.

Answers in reverse order

Yes I would be in deep s&*t if I lost my key

That ground anchor looks like it would definitely work, but I have three bikes so a bit expensive for what is just a piece of bent metal

Problem is not that you can't twist the eyelet, because in reality you couldn#t but the bricks are old, and I bet with a bit of wiggling with the right tool it could pop out.

It's in the shed next to the garage so I'm bolting to outside wall. If I go all the way through and put a nut on the other side, they can just break into the garage (not hard to do in mycase) and remove the nut.

And finally, I bet araldite would work because I gave gripfill a try and it's done the trick. Through probably anchor resin and mortar would also work.

The point for me is that screw eyelets are a cheap and effective option. Main reason is that you need an ID of 20mm or greater. Anchor eyelets only go up to about 12mm, so not an option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back