Emergency help! Leaking pressure vessel!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my zilmet pressure vessel has rusted out on top of my boiler and sprung a major leak. I need some advice on what to do. I've shut the boiler down electrics side. The pressure vessel has been weeping for a good 90 mins now, do I need to turn mains water off too? Or open hot water taps to drain it quicker, any help much appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 205
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 246
Sponsored Links
Close the cold water inlet isolator at the bottom of the boiler (5th from left) and open a tap to let the pressure off. Make sure you use a spanner, the slot is to show direction, not for turning it.

Close the cold water inlet isolator at the bottom of the boiler (5th from left) and open a tap to let the pressure off. Make sure you use a spanner, the slot is to show direction, not for turning it.
You mean this??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 220
Yes, the one below the Pressure Reducing Valve. (The one with the grey bit).

Sponsored Links
To anyone else, those valves are OFF when the slot is at 90 degrees to the line of the pipe!

Since its an unvented cylinder and the blue vessel is the expansion one for the cylinder, so technically it should only be charged with air and fitted by someone holding the G3 qualification.

Contrary to some DIYers expectation, they do NOT come ready air pressured for connecting without setting by the installer.

Tony

Aj, just in case you were tempted ..... please don't try and replace the EV yourself, it is part of the unvented safety systems and must be repaired and signed off by a qualified engineer. Get it serviced at the same time :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back