Emergency Services

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Something I always wondered about was how the emergency 112 system operates, where do you actually get through to, how do they know where the nearest fire brigade for example is?

Sponsored Links
your area code comes up on the screen and so does your nearest //...............// service unit

Thats not actually quite right.

when you phone up the "emergency operator" then puts you through to the "head office" of the county / service you ask for, you are in. the head office already know where you are so the nearest available unit is despatched to you.

note the nearest available unit, if there is a fire for example and all appliances in your town are out, they will then call on the next nearest one to your location, it has been known to get one from a differnt county

Yes, Fire tenders crossing the border between Nothern Ireland and the republic is a regular occurance here

Sponsored Links
Thats not actually quite right.#

so your saying you have to waste time telling them what county your in?!

that would waste valuable time...

When about 68% (in ireland) of 999 / 112 calls are made through mobile phones, the area code could not be relied upon. Obviously it is assumed that the call is being made from the country in which the emergency is present. The point I'm making is that if it is quicker for a fire crew to come from another country (across a border) they will do so. Likewise for ambulances

Actually if you use a mobile phone, they KNOW exactly where you are calling from. The reciever you phone connects too has a unique ID number that is piggybacked on to all calls, this is then nconnected to a database and this tells them the exact location of this transciever.

As the cell phone system works in a specific way, they will know you are within 0.5 miles of the base unit.

The reason they actually ask where you are is more for call screening to prevent hoax callouts.

Further, should your phone dial 112 or 999 and you not answer the operator, they can use the base station network to triangulate your exact position in real time of the surface of the planet to with 5 meters.

This is why you should not use a mobile to make hoax call to the emergency services..you shouldn't do it at all, but from a mobile you will get caught.

Wish so FWL! It would make our life a hell of a lot easier, but it isn't that simple
Our national emergency call centre, which is currently in Dublin only has a 'caller display' system similar to that of a domestic householder. Yes, the location of mobile phones can be traced,(provided they are switched on) but it takes time. Unfortunately it does not simply appear on a monitor.
For example, an incident recently took place here where hoax calls were made to the ECC (emergency call cantre) claiming that a baby had been abandoned. The call was made from an unregistered mobile phone, it took the mobile phone company almost 4 hours to come up with an approximate location on the handset.

What’s more (no offence intended) one of Britain’s same such control rooms (just north of Glasgow) which I was actually in has similar technology. Don’t know where your living!!

BR, I'm living in part of the world that has very good technology, yours may be passed it's useful date and somewhat backwards, but here in London it is truly high tech and exactly as described.

The Police often do not realise that mobile are so traceable.

I have a cousin who works for Customs and Excise, he is a Senior Investigator for the Drug Unit, you would be very surprised at the kit they have and what they can do.

Further, if the calls you mentioned came from a phone that was not in a static location, then tracking it in real time would be extremely difficult. The caller only need be on cell boundaries for the call to hop from cell to cell as the caller moved with phone in hand. I have seen this demonstrated. I'll bet that the security service of Ireland have the capability as I said above, but do not make it public knowledge for very good reason...but then maybe not!

Perhaps this will interest you all here .

They only get down to about 50 metres from what I have read.

If you are in central london the cells are very small as there are so many phones, so accuracy should be better there than in the country, where cells are larger.

And 50 metres accuracy can be pretty good. I have GPS in my car and you can bring up the accuracy via the menus: 50 metres accuracy would easily be good enough that you can look around and find a particular person in a moderately busy pedestrian precinct (provided you aren't 4 feet tall and in a crowd!)

ok, from memory of my days in the emergency operator section in bt, all 999 calls, from non-mobile phones and from anywhere in the UK (not Dublin) are answered by a dedicated, emergency, BT operator. On the screen, it displays the telephone number of the caller and their house address. The caller tells the operator what service they require and the bt operator connects the call to either the fire, police ambulance or coastguard service, as requested. The operators screen will tell him/her which area fire/ambulance/police/coastguard to connect to, based on the phone number. If the person calling the operator does not speak or puts the phone down, the operator passes the details to the Police who will send an officer to investigate (and if no one is in, they will force entry on the basis that the person who made the call has collapsed or is in danger).
The same applies to calls from a mobile phone except that often the address of the caller is not displayed (if unregistered pay as you go) and also because if it is a mobile you are probably not at home anyway! The cell data is displayed though and will tell the operator where you are making the call from - this enables the call to be passed to the appropriate regional fir/police/ambulance coast guard office.
Hope this clarifies the situation!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back