Emissions Reduction Condition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some require some advice please

One of the conditions for a renovation project have asked for a energy assessment which shows 10% emissions reduction.

Please see attached condition.

The Energy assement as come back recomending solar paneling (30 Panels) to acheive this reduction. Also been advised by the SAP assessor that if the building control can write a report that adhering to 10% reduction is not required or not needed in them terms then solar panneling can be excluded?

I do understand that but it is a Planning condition does this mean i have to get the condition removed submitting the building control report (thats if he agrees to it)??

A big cost if 30 panels are required

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-06-23 at 20.07.36.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-06-23 at 20.07.36.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 61
Sponsored Links
I don't see how BC can write a report saying the 10% reduction is not required. Planners have made it a condition of the approval, so you will need to demonstrate the reduction in order to have the condition discharged. It's up to you how you achieve it, but simply saying it's not required isn't the answer.

Thanks for that. To demonstrate it its recommend 30 solar panels on the roof.
That will be a big cost

The snip says either "renewable technologies" or "enhanced insulation or building techniques"...

Nothing about solar?

Can the 10% not be made up with cavity/floor/ceiling insulation on the renovation project? Or an ashp?

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd go to an energy assessor and pay him to produce a piece of paper with some number crunching which shows that your proposed insulation levels will result in the required reduction in emissions. No one in the planning department will read the report, let alone have the foggiest idea of what the numbers mean.

In the end, it's all down to bits of paper, with the "correct" result shown on them. Be sensible. Why pay £££££££s to reduce the UK's 1% of world emissions of CO2 by 0.000000000000000001%? How long will the payback period be on a roof of solar panels, which will be scrap within 20-odd years anyway.

- Roll up all loft insulation into the corner
- Have assessment done, it should suggest installation of loft insulation
- Refit loft insulation

Or do more if the house is cold or expensive to heat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back