EML used on hollow between stud work - is this right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning,

We have just had a stud wall installed and I’m a little concerned over the materials used. The builder used EML metal between the wooden frames (I’m a total
Novice, do please excuse my descriptions) with no plaster board or ply on top or behind and then he has plastered over it.

My concern is that this will not be strong enough to act as a wall and now I’m worried about decorating this wall and the possibility of plaster flexing as soon as any pressure is applied.

I have asked the builder and he has assured me that this is an acceptable way to build a stud wall.

Any advice please?

I do have photos but I’m not sure as a newbie if I can post it.

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Was this builder foreign?

Mesh is used as a security layer, not for plastering on on its own.

The wall should have plasterboard, or a timber board before the mesh to stiffen the whole wall.

I was thinking the same thing.

I have seen plaster on eml over timber studwork for ceilings and external render, predominantly on buildings from the 1920's and 1930's but I have never seen it for an internal partition and certainly not in any modern work.

I suppose in theory if it is done properly and the studs aren't too far apart it could work but I cannot fathom why anyone would do this unless their labour costs were very low and it worked out cheaper than buying plasterboard. It certainly would not instil confidence in the builder's grasp of modern building construction techniques.

Thank you both for your replies. I have queried this and many other issues with the builder (iffy workmanship all round) and he continually tries to blind me with the science to the point I’m doubting myself.

He did plasterboard half way up one side and half way down the other side on one side of the wall and on the other side of the wall I believe he plasterboarded both sides from top to bottom. It definitely screams ‘ran out of materials’ to me!!

I really don’t think it’s fit for purpose, I’m scared to apply any pressure to it at all. Perhaps I will get used to a plaster pink feature wall!

Thanks again for taking the time to respond

Sponsored Links

Mesh is used as a security layer, not for plastering on on its own.

The wall should have plasterboard, or a timber board before the mesh to stiffen the whole wall.

No he wasn’t foreign but apparently in the building game for years!! If I could show you the photos I have of the rest of the build I would but I have a feeling this will go to court and I don’t want to compromise any possible outcome.

It would make your hair curl!!

It definitely screams ‘ran out of materials’ to me!!

No builder would use EML instead of plasterboard -its far more expensive.

EML might be used where a wall made of blockwork with a small section of studwork or ply has been added -say to fill in a gap or similar -the EML is then used to cover the section of timber so there is something for the bonding plaster to stick to.

EML cannot be used instead of plasterboard -IE it cant be used between studwork with nothing behind.

your builder is a prize plum

Sounds like he has used the EML in much the same way as the old lath & plaster method.
As you say, it will not withstand any pressure and is likely to break off and fall through the mesh.
Next time he comes try to get the registration number of his horse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back