Emptying bath filled toilet and toilet outlet leaked onto floor!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is not what a bloke wants when he wants to settle and check his emails following his after supper bath!! :mad:
Having flushed the toilet not long before, I was still in the bath when I pulled the plug, only to notice a moment later the the toilet, right beside the tub, was filling up with bath water, and then realised it was also "flowing" across the bathroom floor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I jammed my heel over the plug hole, then wrestled the plug back into place.
Hells teeth! The water was still running across the floor so I had to sacrifice all the available towels and throw 'em down, my jeans and T shirt too! The cat ran away!
So annoyed that there appears to ba a blockage right after flushing the toilet, and even more annoyed that the outlet pipe should choose that moment to vomit on the floor!!
Aaargh! apart from the toilet outlet and cistern, everything is hidden in a boxed in section between the bath and the loo roll holder wall.
So I guess I'm going to have to break open the box at the back to find where any blockage might be.
Someone please tell me an eaiser way. :sick:

This type of unit.

This bit leaked. Not at the front, but where the grey and white meet. Shouldn't that have been glued together? I can rock the whole unit and these parts move all about.

Rigid inlet and overflow.

Never realised it got so dusty under there. :oops:

Sponsored Links
This bit leaked. Not at the front, but where the grey and white meet. Shouldn't that have been glued together? I can rock the whole unit and these parts move all about.
No, that's the pan connector, there should be fins in there that seal to the inside of the soil pipe. Probably needs replaced if fins are no longer sealing it.

Yup, does sound like your main waste needs a seeing to, definitely backing up downstream of the toilet, bath must feed into that 110mm soil further back if it's backing up through the toilet. To initially access that it would be a toilet move, remove the connector and then take it from there, see where the pipework behind leads to and see if that's where the blockage is.

Rubber Gauntlets , Carbolic soap and Dettol time :sick:

Sounds like a blockage in the soilpipe or stack.

1) The WC pan connector (white thing) is fitted into the soil pipe (grey thing) with a rubber collar - this should be watertight.
2) Nothing should be able to 'rock about' - suggest that you pan need fixing to the floor properly.
3) Check the nearest manhole/inspection chamber - if it's clear then the blockage is likely to be in the soil pipe or stack

If the pan connector is loose in the soil pipe then rodding or plunging will more than likely put more water on the floor - this needs to be fixed first

This is not what a bloke wants when he wants to settle and check his emails following his after supper bath!! :mad:
Having flushed the toilet not long before, I was still in the bath when I pulled the plug, only to notice a moment later the the toilet, right beside the tub, was filling up with bath water

That must have been a substantial supper you had to produce such a magnificent dump?:mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Thanx for the advice guys.

Yeap it was a huge dish of veg curry and rice. :D

Annoyingly, I've been off work, but feeling too mankey to sort the bathroom. I know I've prolly added to the blockage even though I also used a public loo once a day.
If I leave the toilet alone for about 4 hrs, I can chuck 1/2 a bucket of water down it without a problem. But more than that and so-called water will back up and leak/drip out into the nice earthenware flan dish (which will end up under an outdoor plant pot) that I've strategically positioned under the pan connector.

Even more annoyingly, I see that I can't rod the only drain I've got on my patio. It's tiny and it's 4 inches below the patio level in a bloody concrete box!

Haven't purchased any rods yet. Presumably the only option I have might be to rod it from above. ie, from the vent pipe in my loft.
Should I just try that and leave the round patio cover in place? I don't really fancy having that small drain area full of crap.

Holey crap! GRRRR! :evil:

If it's blocked in the stack or below ground then rodding it from above will not help.

It's either a case of finding an accessible inspection chamber - the one you've found might give a jetting hose some form of access depending on the invert level.

Hmm, so, I'll have to rip into the pipe box in the bathroom (1st floor) before I even start. Just to get an idea of the layout.

Video of the bathroom spaghetti junction.
The wash basin is at the other end of the bath, so the waste from that must be joining the bath waste just out of view. Then the bath waste seems to extend under the toilet soil pipe and joins the 'stack' below it. Finally I turn the camera, (smartphone gaffer taped to chopsticks) to look at the top of the pipe, which I already know eventually leads up to a roof vent via a flexi.

http://vid81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/chashugh/Bog Leak/Bathroom spaghetti.mp4

I've not unplugged the bath since the beginning. Sooo, if the toilet is backing up after more than 1/2 a bucket, the blockage is basically right below there and hopefully not the entire height of the stack!
Are we thinking that if I rod it from the top of that vent pipe, I might compact what's in there and make it worse?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back