emptying cylinder

Sponsored Links
Garden hose on the drain cock, and another garden hose with 6" of 15mm copper stuck in the end, pushed down inside, syphoning - both at the same time to get it all out quick.

If it's one that's half full of scale, then cut the top off (like opening a Dalek) and scoop out the [hot] water and rocks until the cylinder is light enough to carry.

If it's an old direct cylinder from a solid fuel back boiler, just have a look at the chimney breast there should be a drain cock or a hatch to a drain cock.

Otherwise as above.

Sponsored Links
I can add nothing to those posts but envy :mad: they both beat me to it...............alright.....Daleks are powered by static electricity ;)

If its an old cylinder a guess 8 out of 10 d/off washers sick inside leaving u to drain through a 3mm hole,but its worth a try,syphoning's somtimes the only way. Glad i,m up north so we dont do that scale problem really.

Top Tip for newbies... ;)

dont put your mouth directly onto the hose (as it will have defo been down somebodys bog), use the foil from the sarnies your mum made and wrap it around the end of the diseased hose and poke a hole init - then suck away! You can stop sucking before the water hits your mouth, if you've sucked hard enough it will still syphon.

good clean (ish) fun (sort off) :confused:

bster - the apprentices friend :D

Fill the hose with water first, hold thumb over one end, but other end in cylinder lower end with thumb on, let go.

And drain-offs almost always leak around the spindle - it's an important Design Feature!
You can minimise the leakage by running the hose downstairs, so that it syphons the water and (hopefully) draws air in past the slack spindle seal preventing water from leaking out!

dexion said:
hi - whats the best way to empty the cylinder? :D

An aquavac is very handy! I have bought no end of hose pipes when I have forgotten to bring one on a job. :cry: I usually do as the other suggested and slice off the top, then bucket the water out - aquavac whats left. Also if you do this, it proves to the scrappy that there isn't any limescale in the bottom :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back