Emulsion over oil based paint dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am repainting the woodwork in a house I've moved into. It looks like the original paint was oil based but unfortunately the previous owner painted everything in sight, walls and wood, in white emulsion (it is awful)!

I’ve sanded it all down but a basic sand. So, what's left now is a mix of the emulsion, some of the original oil based paint and also a few bits of bare wood (there were lots of bumps and drips which I've sanded off and ended up going a bit too far) But is all has a 'key' due to the sanding.

What on earth do I now paint on top of this? (internet research hasn’t helped much)

Ultimately, I want the final finish to be oil based eggshell or satin finish.

But what can I put on to start with, water based primer/undercoat or oil based? Having now read up on it, I'm worried that the fact there is still emulsion on there means whatever I put on top won’t stick properly and might peel off. Also, the small patches of bare wood, does this need wood primer first?

New carpets going down soon so I need to get on with it asap and I don't think I have time to more sanding than I've already done (hallway, stairs, banisters and two bedrooms) Also, the rest of the house needs done after this (4 more rooms, hallway and lots of doors) so I’d really like to not have to sand everything back even more than I have done.

I am totally stuck on what’s best to do, and boyfriend says hurry up and decide what we are doing (he’d just slap oil based top coat on and be done with it!)

Apologies if my question has been answered somewhere before, I couldn't find any answers when I looked.

I would be so grateful for any advice. Many thanks!!

Sponsored Links
how old is the house?

can you guess how old the paint is?

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the upstairs of the flat is 1980s, its the attic. And the rest is old, Victorian, so I am concerned about lead paint. I have only started decorating the 1980s part of the house so far.

Hello,

I

What on earth do I now paint on top of this? (internet research hasn’t helped much)

Ultimately, I want the final finish to be oil based eggshell or satin finish.

!
look for Zinsser products on t'net;)

Sponsored Links
old oil paint may be linseed oil based, especially if it seems very thick. It comes off nicely with a hot air gun. I don't know what the precautions are for possible lead fumes.

edit
here
https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/cis79.pdf

Modern paint strippers are not much good since they took out the carcinogens.

Modern paint strippers are not much good since they took out the carcinogens.

You can still buy methyl chloride paint stripper. It is supposed to be for "industrial use only" though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back