Emulsion over old paint

J

jeepster

hi all.

decided to decorate the hall of our house.
previously it was painted in an mat emulsion with a border.
i had planned to remove the border and apply new paint.

unfortunately when i pulled off the border the paint came off also.

however some patches off paint have been left.

the house is only 8 years old.

does anyone know how i can cover these patches of paint on otherwise flat walls.

when i tried to cover them with emulsion i could see the outline of the patch.

any ideas

Sponsored Links
I assume you are in an New Build House that Has Gyproc Walls and Cielings !

If so, then this problem that has happened to you is caused by the very first coat of emulsion has been overthinned or not thinned at all, assuming the emulsion was an Matt Emulsion.

Best route to take is use PVA 1/4 WATER and apply that onto the bare area's ONLY. Once dry, fill with an Powder Filler. Once dry, slightly rub down then re-fill. Once dry, rub down to an smooth surface. Once dry, slighlty thin down an matt emulsion by ? depending on the make you buy and apply it onto the new filled area's. Though remember some Emulsions CANNOT be applied to new/bare porous surfaces.

Then double coat all your surfaces with your chosen emulsion.

And I bet it was a self adhesive border :evil:

They self adhesive borders should be banned.......................

Sponsored Links
Third_Eye said:

If so, then this problem that has happened to you is caused by the very first coat of emulsion has been overthinned or not thinned at all, assuming the emulsion was an Matt Emulsion.

Best route to take is use PVA 1/4 WATER and apply that onto the bare area's ONLY. Once dry, fill with an Powder Filler. Once dry, slightly rub down then re-fill. Once dry, rub down to an smooth surface. Once dry, slighlty thin down an matt emulsion by ? depending on the make you buy and apply it onto the new filled area's. Though remember some Emulsions CANNOT be applied to new/bare porous surfaces.

Then double coat all your surfaces with your chosen emulsion.

Spot on advice there, but can I just add my ten pence worth, as I have done quite a few of these 'border jobs.

When you come to filling the it like TE says and you might have to fill again after you have sanded down, what I would do also, is to just dab a bit of diluted PVA after you have rubbed the first lot of filler.
I find this gives extra proection to the filled areas, and if I have to do more filler in the same area, it also prevents the filler from cracking and blowing, as sometimes when you do a fair bit of filler it can crumble, so to avoid this happening, I just spent 10 mins or so whacking a bit of diluted PVA on the border area.
Then carry on with your diluted paint on these areas. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back