Emulsioning walls in bed/living room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If wanting to white emulsion the walls in a small bedroom and/or living room to help make the rooms appear a little larger, I was wondering what the pros/cons are with respect to either

a) white emulsioning directly onto the plastered walls
b) covering with a plain white wall paper, and then emulsioning over this with white emulsion

If emulsioned directly onto the walls (no paper) do you think the room would be any colder due to the cold surface of the walls cooling down the room temperature? Possibly papered walls would not cool down the room temperature to the same extent...?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
There would be no difference at all if the walls were lined or not and then painted white. If the walls are in good condition or new plaster, a mist coat and further full coats are all that is needed.
It will have no effect on the temperature of the room.

Maybe try some Dulux Light and space emulsion - kind of light reflecting allegedly. I did my small hall in a light yellow- not really sure if it was brighter. It's not as cheap as white though.

Maybe try some Dulux Light and space emulsion - kind of light reflecting allegedly. I did my small hall in a light yellow- not really sure if it was brighter. It's not as cheap as white though.
Did you get on ok with that Nige F? We used it in the same colour as you in a bedroom in the old house and it was very streaky. Couldn't get a nice even finish at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Yes it was fine - the trade supplier mixes the colour and shakes the tin in a machine - then I give it a good stir.

Strange! Bought ours off the shelf and we swore we'd never use it again. Glad you had no troubs :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back