Enclosing porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an open porch 180cm wide, 150cm deep. We would like this enclosed with a door and large glass panel. We live in milton keynes. We would also need the side walls plastered and a plug socket put in. Any suggestions to how much this would cost?

Sponsored Links
We have an open porch so that when you get out of your car you have somewhere to stand whilst you wait for the occupants open the door or you have sorted your key. Some regret enclosing, others don't.

Yes we got with the house some stupid narrow double doors, only one opens properly due to catching on the floor. Looks ugly too. Whoever did it probably thought it was a nice idea.

Sponsored Links
It's kind of academic
The houses in my street have a typical recessed front door. Judging from many of the porches, many years ago someone must have gone door to door selling timber doors so many have identical small double doors, glass on each side- so four panels in all.

On my house this doesn't lock so in bad weather you can shelter. The walls were rendered so are painted white and there is wall to wall coconut matting over the quarry tiles. What I am trying to say is that you don't need to turn the porch into "inside" to be useful, imho a porch is useful for post and weather protection

As to a socket, it depends on where the power is and what you want it to look like.
My garage is next door, with power- so I would probably fit a double ip grey plastic socket

Some of my neighbours have "proper" porches (French doors and panels) and others simply have patio doors fitted on them

On my house this doesn't lock so in bad weather you can shelter
That's not a great idea unless you live in a low crime area, round here the crime prevention people are always going on about lock your porches as they're also a great place for burglars to shelter

We have an open porch so that when you get out of your car you have somewhere to stand whilst you wait for the occupants open the door or you have sorted your key. Some regret enclosing, others don't.
I'd phone you up when I turn into the road, so that your can get the door ready, and the kettle on. (y)

They are great places for anyone to shelter. I don't know of many burglars that use the front door.
True but i assume the police know more burglars than you! Unless there's something i didn't know:cautious:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back