Energy efficiency in existing buildings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on my dissertation for my Building Surveying degree. I am investigating energy efficiency in existing buildings and improvements that can be made. As part of this I am aiming to collect some basic information from home owners.

For this I have prepared a short survey which you can find at the link below. I would be extremely grateful if anyone interested could fill it in for me. It shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6RTZ2DF

Many thanks,

Duncan.

Sponsored Links
Hi Duncan

Not too bad, surveys usually annoy me because the option that applies to me doesn't exist, but I think you've covered most bases.

Just a couple of points though. To me what you meant by "Internal wall insulation" wasn't clear. Do you mean insulation of the actual internal walls such as between a lounge and dining room? Why would anyone do this? What's the point of insulation between two heated rooms where no heat transfer would occur? Or do you mean cladding the internal side of external walls? If so, I don't see why you have a distinction between internal & external.

Also, I save energy equally as much for the environment and for bills, but I had to choose one over the other. Maybe a third box for selecting both equally as much, then you wouldn't have to rephrase the question.

Hope you don't mind the input, I know these things are rather subjective.

Stem,

Many thanks indeed for taking the time to fill out the survey and for your input.

By internal I meant the inside of the external walls, but I see now that it is not totally clear. Your other point is a good one too so thanks!

Sponsored Links
Good survey. Itd be interesting to see how much of a difference its possible to make.

THink ive done just about as much as I can to my own home though!

Duncan, I've completed the survey.
Some comments based on my experience:
I've found it's always helpful to do pilot survey first, even just among friends, etc helps. It's surprising how many issues arise. You might find even a second, even third pilot is necessary. You'll never get it quite right.
It's not easy to analyze the results, especially the odd ones, e.g. "other" which you'll probably find categorising some anyway and you'll realise you could have provided that as an alternative.
Provide some means of participants to receive at least your findings, if they want 'em. It encourages participation. Store your results (and your findings), you or someone else might want to access them in the future. Or use your survey as starting point for their's.
There are software packages at reasonable prices faciltates questionnaire and analysis. A database package such as Access or Approach can be used quite effectively. Electronic collection of results facilitates input.
Don't forget to segment your findings. You've not provided any method of collecting data to do that. e.g socio-economic-educational-gender-age-geographical status of participant. Any results not segmented will be biased.
Don't over-collect results, maximum is usually 1,000. Correct segmentation in collection can reduce that significantly.
State your shortcomings in your findings. the reader can allow for them. You'll have discovered a lot of 'em by the time you've finished ;) .Preamble your findings with an explanation of collection of results.
If and as you develop the skills for surveying viewpoints you'll find that some answers deserve a different route through the questions.

In this survey a couple of points, thay may have been covered already:
Question 1, a don't know? & is a type of construction more important?
3, A scale continuum rather than a Yes/No?
4, ditto
5 Both?
9, Damage or devaluation?

Second thoughts on question 9; don't be negative. You can collect exactly the same results but defining the question positively: Do you think your improvements have improved the value of your house? Or something similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back