Energy efficient light bulbs

BML

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to ensure that all of the bulbs I use are the most power efficient and am looking for an organisation or forum where I may find information such as a reliable supplier who can advise me at to m y requirements.

Supplementary question. Is it possible that one can receive automatic replies to questions.

Sponsored Links
You can find plenty of energy efficient bulbs @Amazon.com and if you go to your settings you can tick the box to receive e-mail notifications.(y)
Take a look at the most recent reviews for further info...

Modern LEDs are vastly more efficient than the old filament or halogen types. They use only one-tenth the electricity and last much longer. They run so cheap that I use timers on the stairs and porch, but the cost of running them 24 hours is negligible and less than the cost of a new timer.

"Dimmable" versions slightly less economical

I think the main difference will be in quality and reliability. Top brands like Osram and Phillips cost a little more.

The supermarket own-brands are good value and generally dependable.

The higher-power bulbs tend to have shorter lives because some of the same internal components are common throughiut the range so lower-rated lamps are less stressed.

Choose "warm white" as the "cool" are cold like a laboratory

I find LED lamps tend to be brighter than I was expecting, so try a few rather than equipping your whole house in one go. Table lamps and standard lamps are the easiest as no stepladder needed

You can find plenty of energy efficient bulbs @Amazon.com and if you go to your settings you can tick the box to receive e-mail notifications.(y)
Take a look at the most recent reviews for further info...
Many thanks for your information. Regrettably you have replied to a not very effective manager of Digital communications so I have three supplementary questions.
1. Settings; I'm not certain what you mean or how to use them.
2. What I would like to do is to start by taking out a bulb in the first room and find someone to tell me what the alternative LED bulb is.
3. I'm not sure about using Amazon having just had an upset with them when the person who delivered an expensive item left it on the door step without even ringing the bell. Is there an alternative to them?

Sponsored Links
Modern LEDs are vastly more efficient than the old filament or halogen types. They use only one-tenth the electricity and last much longer. They run so cheap that I use timers on the stairs and porch, but the cost of running them 24 hours is negligible and less than the cost of a new timer.

"Dimmable" versions slightly less economical

I think the main difference will be in quality and reliability. Top brands like Osram and Phillips cost a little more.

The supermarket own-brands are good value and generally dependable.

The higher-power bulbs tend to have shorter lives because some of the same internal components are common throughiut the range so lower-rated lamps are less stressed.

Choose "warm white" as the "cool" are cold like a laboratory

I find LED lamps tend to be brighter than I was expecting, so try a few rather than equipping your whole house in one go. Table lamps and standard lamps are the easiest as no stepladder needed
Many thanks for your advice. Is there a particular source that you would recommend?

I mostly check the prices at Wickes they usually have a wide range.

On this link I have preselected Bayonet Cap B22 which is the most common UK fitting.

Same fir Wilko

For a bedside lamp, around 40Watts incandescent, an LED around 4Watts will be similar. I very loose numbers, the light output in lumens will be over 400 like https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Non-Dimmable-GLS-Opal-LED-B22-4-8W-Warm-White-Light-Bulb/p/261636

For a ceiling lamp where you previously had a 100Watt bulb, I look for around 1200 lumens which will be around 12Watts LED.
So this one will be similar, perhaps a bit brighter

For a table lamp, https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Non-Dimmable-GLS-Opal-LED-B22-8-8W-Warm-White-Light-Bulb/p/261637

Last edited:
Many thanks for your idea's and suggestions.

2. What I would like to do is to start by taking out a bulb in the first room and find someone to tell me what the alternative LED bulb is.

As an idea, look at the wattage of the lamp you have, divide by 10, and that will be the actual wattage LED lamp you need to replace it with.

The wattage equivalent is written on the led lamp packaging.There are many sources including the diy sheds , supermarkets , Screwfix Toolstation etc , I tend to buy online as I find a much cheaper and wider variety of lighting .

The wattage equivalent is written on the led lamp packaging.There are many sources including the diy sheds , supermarkets , Screwfix Toolstation etc , I tend to buy online as I find a much cheaper and wider variety of lighting .

Even the pound shops sell them. Our local hardware shop has a massive variety. I've only suffered one failure in the years since I began the swap, and that due to a known heat issue, so all seem 100% reliable so far, apart from that single situation.

The killer for LED's is heat build-up in the fitting in they are used in. A light fitting, which works fine for a tungsten lamp, may not be the best for an LED. Any fitting which has plenty of airflow should be fine.

Do that and tell us on here what the bulb is. Numbers on the side/take a photo.

Do you have all bayonet fittings and old incandescent bulbs? You must've had a cupboard full of spare bulbs to not be on led by now?

Even the pound shops sell them. Our local hardware shop has a massive variety. I've only suffered one failure in the years since I began the swap, and that due to a known heat issue, so all seem 100% reliable so far, apart from that single situation.

The killer for LED's is heat build-up in the fitting in they are used in. A light fitting, which works fine for a tungsten lamp, may not be the best for an LED. Any fitting which has plenty of airflow should be fine.
I find the opposite , tungsten fail quickly due to heat in enclosed fittings while led’s are always cool to the touch .

I got a box from B&M bargains a few months ago. 10 bulbs for £8, b22 8.6w warm white

My biggest batch was bought when a very large national chain store went bust around 6 years ago and quality LED's were still quite expensive. They were selling 2.5w BC's from a box, at 50p each. I picked up a couple, tried them at home, they even dimmed just fine - then went back for a few pounds worth. They serve the low level lighting needs, in several areas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back