Energy Efficient Wired Mains-Powered Door Bell Required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the market for an Energy Efficient wired and mains-powered Door Bell. I've had a look around on the interweb and all I can find is the usual old-fashioned stuff which appears to use a wire-wound transformer rather than modern switch-mode power supply and incandescent (often non-replaceable) bulb in the illuminate bell-push rather than LED, which would use 1/10th of the energy, too. It may be that no-one has the gumption or knowledge to know or understand the difference (we're not old grumpy, stingy old ex-engineers)... I do appreciate we are not talking a lot of energy here but bearing in mind it's on 24/7 forever I'd rather buy something whose maker has *some* sort of appreciation of the real world rather than a head-in-the-sand Victorian enterprise!

Can anyone suggest such a thing?

MW
Isle of Colonsay

Sponsored Links
Blimey. How much light is put out, or do you need ?

How often is your door bell used?

Id suggest a motion detected light and a non illuminated bell

A battery powered one? Then recharge the batteries - or as said use a USB charger.

Edit - there's a lot of missing words around what sellers list as "illuminated".

Maybe have a non-illuminated one with a 18650 powered led approach light. I have a cheap one of those - lasts for months between charges..

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A battery powered one? Then recharge the batteries - or as said use a USB charger.

Edit - there's a lot of missing words around what sellers list as "illuminated".

Maybe have a non-illuminated one with a 18650 powered led approach light. I have a cheap one of those - lasts for months between charges..

A battery powered system, using an integrated flashing LED, would last even longer.

The usual method of wiring an illuminated push, was in series with the bell/chime unit and powered via a transformer, because batteries would not last long powering the lamp. However, a flashing LED, can have an average power demand of just microamps - quite doable via battery.

Umm... Thanks for all the suggestions but the words 'Mains-Powered' in the title of the OP obviosuly confused some of you ! Besides which, I was looking for somethng a bit more (well... completely, actually) 'off-the-shelf'. As it happens, an eBay seller has replied suggesting their kit fits my bill so I've bought one and will report back...

Thanks for the thread. I understand what you mean and would like the same. Please let us all know what you've bought and whether it's any good.

I've always had problems with the push button ones, the rain gets in and corrodes the contacts. If yours is LED and has a sealed membrane instead of a sliding leaky button then that would be my fantasy perfect doorbell.

My plans are a bit more advanced though - we have two front doors. I want a button on each and a dual sounder at each end of the house. I want both to ring when either button is pressed, but I want them both to play the sound that belongs to each door. E.g. bing-bong is the left door, dringgg is the right door, always played from both of them regardless of which door.

That looks about 1 lumen. If so the saving will be about 20 pence per year.

1675859877375.png

Have you consider the purely mechanical system, The caller provides some mechanical energy and this rings the bell. No electricity used.

Lower cost versions are available.

Rather than a passive, press the button arrangement. My own preferred option, if you have a path/drive leading to the property, is either a PIR, or a broken beam system, to announce someone's approach.

Sponsored Links
Back