Energy savers outside on photocell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all need advice,
Fitted two pillar lights with 35w megaman es bulbs on a photocell switch. customer says hes only getting a months life out of the bulbs. Back to GLS lamps? or does the life of bulb vary from bulb manufacturer ?.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can the photo cell get light from the light it controls? I have had problems in past which cheap photo cells switching lamp on and off many times before settling down. Better cells have timer built in.

I've got 3 outside lights with Philips or GE (I think the former) CFLs, on a photocell, had them nearly 2 years - no problems.

So your customer is suffering from either dodgy lamps, a dodgy photoswitch (mind you - mine is only a Screwfix Finest IQ), or dodgy workmanship..... :D

Sponsored Links
Many struggle with low temps, although this doesn't usually effect the lifetime as dramatically as you're experiencing. Condensation can cause issues with the PCA unless a conformal coating has been applied to the PCA. There can also be issues with sealed light fittings causing the lamps to overheat.

Contrary to what many say, I've had real issues with the reliability of Megaman lamps especially with overheating in enclosed fittings.

I've never had issues with Philips and Sylvania lamps though. I still have some Philips ones running well that are about 15 years old.

I have seven outside lights on a photocell of which four are CFLs. They have been in use for over 3 years, i.e. over 12,000 hours and only one has failed.

Contrary to what many say, I've had real issues with the reliability of Megaman lamps especially with overheating in enclosed fittings.

They are Megaman lamps ...the liliput 30w ones i have always been really impressed with the amount of light output but

I have my wholesaler getting me some osram lamps to try.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back