Energy Saving Bulbs and Dimming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a search on this topic but not found the answer I'm looking for.

My question is, What is the best energy saving bulb (BC type) in terms of how fast they get to full brightness and how would I use a dimmer on them i.e do I need a special dimmer switch?

Any help would be greatfully recieved!

Sponsored Links
Wozza said:
My question is, What is the best energy saving bulb (BC type) in terms of how fast they get to full brightness
They are probably all much of a muchness. The only low-energy lamps I've seen that take a noticeable time to reach full brightness are Genuras.

and how would I use a dimmer on them
You can't.

i.e do I need a special dimmer switch?
They can't be dimmed.

Sponsored Links
Admittedly it may be harder as the ballast is normally built in but all flouro's are energy saving.

The most common type of energy efficient light bulbs are the screw-in type. You can use them almost anywhere. There are the triple tube type and spiral types which fit in almost any socket. You can replace up to a 150 watt incandescent light with a 32 watt energy efficient light bulb! We also have some of the energy efficient light bulbs that can be used on a dimming circuit using a regular incandescent dimmer!
Lifted from this website www.buylighting.com/energy-efficient-lightbulbs.htm

I agree, you can't dim domestic two pin/contact compact fluorescents in any case and those fluorescents with four pins you can dim all require electronic control gear and is really for commercial & industrial installations. Best approach is to be circumspect about using fluorescent lamps in a domestic setting - they're not always the best choice.

Wozza said:
What is the best energy saving bulb (BC type) in terms of how fast they get to full brightness
i bought some 20watt ones from Wilkinsons (3 for £5 i think) and they start instantly at nearly full brightness, take about 10 secs to reach full brightness.

BJS_Spark said:
Sorry to have to disagree but I lifted this
Yes! You Can Dim Fluorescent Lighting!
Lutron's been doing it for over 25 years!

Off this website www.lutron.com/product_technical/fluorescent.htm[/QUOTE]
I know that it is perfectly possible to dim fluorescent lamps.

I do not (did not??) believe that it is (was??) possible to dim the integrated CFLs sold as low-energy replacement lamps for existing incandescent lamps in existing luminaires.

BJS_Spark said:
The most common type of energy efficient light bulbs are the screw-in type. You can use them almost anywhere. There are the triple tube type and spiral types which fit in almost any socket. You can replace up to a 150 watt incandescent light with a 32 watt energy efficient light bulb! We also have some of the energy efficient light bulbs that can be used on a dimming circuit using a regular incandescent dimmer!
Lifted from this website www.buylighting.com/energy-efficient-lightbulbs.htm[/QUOTE]
Now that's very interesting, if they have managed to make replacement CFLs as described above that can be dimmed with existing dimmers.

When I've got a few minutes I'll look at that website in more detail.

I wonder if they are available in the UK?

Hi BAN-ALL-SHEDS,
If in anyway whatsoever I have ever done anything to offend you I apologise profusely. No offence is ever meant, but I do enjoy a bit of joshing as we say around here.I have the utmost respect for you and your knowledge of electrical regs/rules etc. I REALLY WOULD love to meet you in person one day if it is at all possible, I also appreciate your new-found taste in mediaeval french! :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks to everyone for your reply's, it has really help'd me out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back