'Energy saving' scam call

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
When I lived in my old place and had a spare few mins when we had these calls, I'd listen to the spiel about how great their double glazing or conservatory was and say I'd like it. And just as you can hear them rubbing their hands add I live in a flat so can't have a conservatory and the property is listed! They usually seemed quite upset, not sure why as they knew my address or so they said, is flat x really going to have a conservatory?

They usually seemed quite upset, not sure why as they knew my address or so they said ...
Yes, they'd be upset.
You have to realise that these are still people, and whist we may look down on them, for some of them this is the only way they have of putting food on the table for their families - in fact, for some it's a relatively well paid job. They will have a quota to reach, a list of numbers to call, and be watched like a hawk.
These workplaces are the modern day equivalent of our cotton mills of old - barely one step up from slave labour, but people do it because it's better than the alternatives. From their point of view, they are on "piece rate" and dragging things out when there's no chance of a sale has just hit them in the pocket and/or threatened their employment.

I was born in London and was almost 30 before moving to Bedfordshire, it is my extended family who have several ties with Lancashire.

Some years ago I designed equipment for a respectable call centre where staff were on a salary and no pressure to meet quotas and no cold calling numbers at random. Then the owner's investors saw an oportunity and they requires him to expand his business to provide the equipment to some of the cold calling sweat shops they also invested in. Staff turnover in these sweat shops was high as polite people without the necessary cold agressive sales attitude could not stand the pressure or failed to earn adequate income. The long term staff were generally lacking in empathy and the ability to care about the people they were selling to.

I have little sympathy for these people when they start the hard sales talk.

They usually seemed quite upset, not sure why as they knew my address or so they said ...
From their point of view, they are on "piece rate" and dragging things out when there's no chance of a sale has just hit them in the pocket and/or threatened their employment.

Exactly, so if more people did it we may get rid of these annoying cold callers for good!

From their point of view, they are on "piece rate" and dragging things out when there's no chance of a sale has just hit them in the pocket and/or threatened their employment.
My heart bleeds for them.

They choose to call me.

They make the decision to impose themselves on me.

They will &*&£#@*-well take whatever I then choose to do to them.

Got a call today,
"Hello Mr. Smith?"
"Mr. Smith hasn't lived here for 20 years."
"Ah, can I speak to the householder then if you are not he?"
"They're not here at the moment, but if its important I can give you a contact number, if that helps?"
"That would be great!!"

I then gave them Durham County Councils phone number!

Too slow.

You should have said - "OK - hang on, I've got it here somewhere", then quickly run and googled for a premium rate sex-chat number.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back