they're 'avin a laugh...

£35,000 for a 36 hour week, 3 weeks holiday and 6 months sick pay. Unfortunatley it was a days/nights rotating shift pattern and my body couldn't take the quick turn arounds so had to look for something that fitted into my body clock.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunatley it was a days/nights rotating shift pattern and my body couldn't take the quick turn arounds so had to look for something that fitted into my body clock.

Shame.

If you'd not listened to the psychobabble that surrounds such things you'd have found your 'body clock' accepted the routine pretty quickly.

Many jobs require people to be on rotating shifts with all-hours call-outs on top. True, it might not be the easiest routine, but it's your mind that doing the resisting, not your body.

My Dad had a job once where he worked alternate early and late shifts on a weekly basis, i.e. 1 week 06:00 - 14:00, next week 14:00 - 22:00.

There was one guy in their dept on permanent nights, 22:00 - 06:00.

That guy left, but the firm needed someone there, so until they got a replacement the day people agreed to cover by working 8 on, 8 off, i.e. if it was your week to provide cover it would go

MON 06:00 - 14:00
MON 22:00 - Tue 06:00
TUE 14:00 - 22:00
WED 06:00 - 14:00
etc.

None of them got used to that....

i could never understand the 'ghosters'.
usually machine operators on a 12 on 12 off pattern running a bottle neck process. When one operator was on hols, id often walk in at 6am to find a machine in process, guy asleep on the canteen tables after doing 18 hours non-stop with another 6 to go.
how about that for working time directive??
It was a killer, but when that happened over a weekend (premium rate), the guys doing it had a weary smile knowing the money they were taking home.

Sponsored Links
I don't think this is limited to just this industry.
I'm in IT/Security and I recently went for a job advertised at 70k, they ended up offering me 50k.

That's a world of difference. Seems like they are simply trying to get people as cheap as they can at the moment.

Stand your ground I would say, we all know what we are worth.

You are worth £50k.

I suspect the wages of the past ten years will prove to be an aberation on the high side. In the private sector that is, public sector is a law unto itself.

Employers are finding it as hard as employees and it can only get worse.

I'd take the £250 a week and hope things get better. Next year your £50k is probably going to be high.

I disagree.
I think it's similar to shopping.

Just because one shop is selling a TV for £400, that doesn't mean it's worth that, or indeed that you are going to buy it.

Shop around. Know what you are worth, go in to the interview well prepared and be honest about what you want. If they don't offer it you, then go elsewhere - you'll find what you are looking for soon enough.

Prices in shops go up and down.

If a shop is selling a tv for £400 today that is exactly what it is worth to that shop today. If you want that tele for £200 you can expect a long wait. Next week it might be £450.

Though you are correct in that the choice is yours when to buy it, if at all. Personally, I would rather have money coming into my current account rather than money going out of my savings account. However that is my decision, others might see it differently.

Did you take the job? Was it through an agency? They will lie about salaries just to get you to apply through them. Common agency practice.

I take home £20,800, What ColJack asked for. And Im not a spark (most of you know what I do). And only do 39 hours a week.

It is an insult to skilled workers to offer £250/week. :confused:

What do you do?

Bloody hell, the way Steve goes on sometimes I'd have thought he was a sparky at least. No offence obviously.

thats poor pay. Im just out of my time as electrical maintenance technician.... and i get £380 per week aand am on bottom grade money atm

oh and i work 7-3 one week and 3-11 next. With friday being a half day.

Average 38 Hour week

Now when I were a lad and me Dad bought me a cap so I'd be able tut look art't window, yep we ad windows...... we ad tut walk ..Na trudge across 4 fields setting orf at :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Mick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back