Advice regarding this work please - Pic attached

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Getting a new downstairs bathroom and just had the plumbing and electics installed.

The pipes for the plumbing and electric cable has been run from behind kitchen units which is fine but from the run from the kitchen units to the bathroom it's just been tacked onto the skirting board. Is it safe/legal to tack electric cable to the outside of the skirting board? They're not even boxing it in :confused: I might be wrong but to me the electric cable should be either behind the skirting board (As they've done in the bathroom part) or a duct should be chiseled out of the wall and plastered over.

Also he said as it's an 'old' house the electrics need to go back to an rcd which I thought it had to whether it was a new house or old house but the building contractor hadn't asked him to do that so it would be an extra cost :eek: Surely the building contractor would have told the sparky what was needed and at the least the sparky would have quoted for going back into an rcd?

Would welcome any comments/advice

4772070496_daffc388d1_b.jpg

Sponsored Links
It looks plain awful! There is always a more aesthetically pleasing way to run cables.
Personally I don't like the concept of running them behind skirting.
There are regulations on safe zones: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:walls which would mean having an accessory in the skirting for it to comply.

He should have quoted for the work needed for his work to comply with the 17th edn regulations, if RCD protection is required (socket outlets for general use, concealed unprotected cables less than 50mm in a wall or partition, circuits in a bathroom etc) then he cannot sign off his work to the 17th edn without providing it.

Cables must not be concealed horizontally behind a skirting board, unless it fulfills the requirements of being in a safe zone.

The cables could be chased into the wall, again would have to be in an appropriate safe zone.

The cables could be enclosed in mini trunking, would be an easy way to neaten it up.

Or as you mentioned, a boxing could be made to accomodate the pipes and cables.

Cables can be clipped along a skirting board if they are unlikely to suffer damage.
Cables clipped to the top of the skirting rather than the face are less likely to get damaged.

Talk to your builder on the best way to leave these cables, after all, you have to live with it.

Although not neat it does not break regulations as copper pipes protect it from damage and if it is not RCD protected then needs to be exposed to comply with regulations.

As to RCD they are now required and if builder has not told electrician then it is between builder and electrician to argue about price. It's not an extra you are asking for it is a requirement under BS7671:2008 and unless it complies the electrician will not be able to sign that it complies so will not get a completion certificate under Part P.

When my Father had a bathroom fitted the spark offered to change whole consumer unit at knock down price as very little extra work to fitting stand alone RCD and we felt the extra £100 he asked for was good value for money.

But had we not said yes then he would have still fitted a stand alone RCD.

What I am not sure of is if one needs to up-grade the electrics to comply with change of use? 17th Edition also know as BS7671:2008 states all electrical items in a bath room must be protected by a RCD this includes the lights. I would think with change of use he would need to put lights on a RCD. I am sure if you wait others will clarify this point. If it was always a bathroom then no need to upgrade. The same would apply if fitting a shower in a bedroom. All sockets and lights need RCD protection.

Is it for disabled use? As often non members of scheme are used for disabled as they get Part P from LABC free of charge.

Sponsored Links
thanks all for the advice. the builder is getting the sparky and plumber back and they're going to put the cable and pipe behind the skirting. I'll make sure the cable is enclosed in earthed, steel conduit.

I think you will find the cables are double clipped ie two cables in one clip, this is a definite No No as it can cause the cables insulation to become deformed and put pressure on the cores which may lead to a fault developing.

Nick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back