Refurb electrics question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

I will be soon taking on a refub project of a old 1900's (ish house)

Now... the house has been extended and in this part a new 16way, split load CU with a single RCD protecting half the circuits has been fitted and it looks like the old part of the house has been connected up to this as well.

In the old part of the house, the electrics look at around the 70's at a guess, there are some double sockets in the skirting boards.

Now new bathrooms and kitchens are going to be installed, so we will get a electrician in to work along side.

But what i wanted to know is, if the current electrics in the old part of the house (and new) pass the tests and meets the customers requirements, can this all stay? I.E are sockets in skirting boards allowed these days?

Also does the CU have to be upgraded to a dual RCD to conform to 17th?

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

Sponsored Links
If no work is being carried out on the old system then there is no requirement for you to bring them up to the 17th edn regs.
I don't think there is an issue with sockets in skirting boards, that is more of an accessibility building regulation for disabled access.
There is always more than one way to comply with the 17th edn regs, you may have another CU installed just for the new circuits. Similarly, if possible you may load the non RCD side of the CU with RCBOs.

ok cool, thanks for that.

as im the main contractor / site manager, its nice to know these things.

when the house sale is complete i will do basic checks for earths in the lighting etc.

we will be be fitting new lighting in the bathrooms, shower pumps etc, so RCDs will be needed on these. so RCBOs sound like a good idea.

be will leave the down to the elecy.

Sponsored Links
Why leave everything else in place just because it passes the required tests?

You're taking on a refurb property. Now is a golden time to rip it all out and put new in - it'll save ruining any decor at a later date.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back