Sockets on skirting boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We're looking at a house we want to buy. It has electric sockets on the skirting boards (1930's house). Would this definitely be a re-wire job? Or is it possible that it's fine as it is. The house was last bought 7 years ago so must have been okay then.

Sponsored Links
Sockets mounted on skirting boards is not an indication of the age of the installation. I fitted some sockets in skirting boards a few weeks back*

Can you remember if the sockets were single or double sockets?
If the socket fronts were white or brown?
How big the skirting baords were?

*I know, berfore anyone says anything:
The skirts were 18" tall, and the sockets were in steel back boxes.

<edit> Adam, you're getting slow these days. :LOL:

mistee said:
Hi,
We're looking at a house we want to buy. It has electric sockets on the skirting boards (1930's house). Would this definitely be a re-wire job?

Quite likely

The house was last bought 7 years ago so must have been okay then.

That doesn't mean anything at all

The sockets were light cream colour. The skirting boards are about 7'' tall. The sockets didn't look the type you'd buy today, but didn't look like they'd been there since 1930 either, probably more 70's (??)

Sponsored Links
The recommended hight for sockets and switches is between 450mm and 1200mm (about 17" to 47").

Albert said:
The recommended hight for sockets and switches is between 450mm and 1200mm (about 17" to 47").
In a new build or fully refurbished property.

Your best bet would be to get a professional in to carry out a full periodic inspection, that way you would know for sure what the condition of your electrical installation is like and they would advise you either way

RF Lighting said:
Albert said:
In a new build or fully refurbished property.

New Build only..

Part M Building regs:
Quote “When a building is altered there is no obligation to improve access and facilities for disabled people. However the level of provision after alteration should not be any worse. Facilities may be moved but their suitability and access to them should not be reduced”

Common practice is to place the accessories at the recommended hight on a full refurb :D

Thanks everyone,

The rest of the house is up to date, it's been looked after fantastically. We were hoping the wiring would be okay as we don't think we can afford a full re-wire as there is also a loft conversion to do.

Sounds like it might well be a re-wire, any ideas on cost (3 bedrooms, 2 reception rooms, kitchen, hall) And also (sorry to be a pain!) if we did the loft conversion and the wiring was okayish, would that then mean we would have to have it re-wired as we'd be using the exsisting wiring to add more in the loft. Might we be able to get away with having an isolator for the loft?

Please excuse someone who has no clue about wiring!!!!

They've had a conservatory and that has very up to date looking sockets.

Until regs advise 450mm recently the recommendation most commonly adopted for many years previously was 300mm (1ft) to the underside so your wiring might be quite old.
I would give wiring a priority well before loft conversion.

Any idea of cost? Also if the house was re-wired throughout am I right in thinking that it's a big messy job and the house would need re-decorating afterwards to make good the mess to the walls? Any idea how long it takes?

If you're about to buy, that's the ideal time to have rewiring done. Working in an empty house (before you move in!) it's much easier to chase out the walls with a dust-creating machine without spoiling furniture, carpets and possessions.

I bet you will soon want to redecorate anyway.

If the walls are (or will be) painted, it doesn't take long to repaint over the patched plaster.

Back in the 1970's new sockets were usually put in about a foot up, so in the house you are looking at they might have been deliberately fitted to use old positions, maybe some old conduit. 1930's conduit very often is thin with sharp edges and will probably not have had grommets and glands added at the rewire so can cut into insulation.

As a DIYer (still trying to learn) to another DIYer I would offer a little advice.
The heights are probably irrelivant, as was posted earlier, replacement sockets were probably put in the holes in the skirting left by the old ones to save replacing all the skirtings.
If the fittings are all are all from the 70's then you're wiring may date from the same period - but it may not. If you can find some exposed cable (maybe at the fuse box or if you can take the front off a socket or light switch - remember to turn the supply off) then if it is black rubber then it will be very old and a full rewire, if it is grey PVC then it is more modern and I personally would not be overly concerned - some other people here may disagree?
Also checking if the lighting circuit is earthed may give you a clue to the age of the wiring. To do this unscrew one of the ceiling fittings (again remember to turn off supply). If there's the green and yellow earth wires then all is good, if not then your wiring is probably older. Maybe one of the sparks on the board here can tell us when it became the norm to earth lighting circuits?

If all checks out then you're probably in the same boat as anyone else buying a vaguely modern house. Assuming the rewire was done properly then stuff should be okay and I personally wouldn't worry.
I had a similar situation when I bought my place. My place seems to have been rewired in the 70's - cream light switches, grey PVC cable, earthed light circuit so I was happy.
That said, I have since come to beleive that the rewire job was not done too well. as I have redecorated I have found cable protruding through plaster, connections in fittings not screwed tight, one faulty socket in the house and a faulty socket in the shed that I've disconnected from the circuit anyway because it was clearly not done right in the first place.

The moral of the story - a fairly modern installation may seem okay at first glance and not need a full rewire, but it can often be worth checking for faults because you have no way of knowing how good the spark was that did it.

If you do have to rewire then it will be a messy job as all cable runs will have to be chased out then filled and redecorated over.

As far as your loft conversion is concerned the wiring will no doubt be put on a seperate circuit(s) so it will just be a case of getting that wiring to your fuse box. I'm not sure about what issues there may be (if any) regarding your fuse box not being able to cope with the new circuits but I don't think fuse boxes are particularly expensive if it needs an upgrade. If this is the case then no-doubt the spark who does your loft wiring will let you know.

Sorry for the long post, hope it's useful

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back