Sockets and skirting boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have sockets in the skirting board that I have been advised need to be moved above the skirting. I agree that it would be a neater finish to have them moved but just wanted to know what others thought. Unfortunaletly they are not the slimline sockets and rather chunky. I know there must be a technical term for this! I would prefer the slimline versions so if I am to get the chunkies changed should I get the job done properly and have them moved higher anyway? There is already a new consumer unit so the electrics have been updated in the last couple of years.

Also, if I do have them moved what do I do with the hole in the skirting boards?? Bit of a newbie to all this diy stuff (and no I am not going to attempt the electricals myself) so I am sure there is a simple answer. Don`t want to replace the skirting boards though as they are the originals.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
By Chunkies, do you mean they are on a surface pattress?

The regulations only say that accessories must be so mounted that they are at a minimal risk of damage. It doesn't specify a height.

The main reason for not having them surface mounted on the skirting board (apart from inelegance) is that they get banged by hoovers and furniture.

If you're going to the trouble of having them moved, you may a well put them at the recommended height of 450mm or more (you'll find them esier to reach when you're tired and stiff with a bad back), and you might think about having a few more put in (min 1 double near each corner of the room, pref. one each side of the fireplace, in the middle of each wall, each side of the door as well.

If the skirting is painted, it can be filled.

Thanks for the replies.

I am having some of the walls re-plastered so thought I should get the sockets sorted first. Haven`t got a quote for the sockets moved/more sockets yet but feel it would be a false economy not to have the leccy sorted as the sockets don`t look great.

Sponsored Links
'but feel it would be a false economy not to have the leccy sorted'

A true breath of fresh air! :D

You'd be amazed at just how many people ask me to move sockets AFTER a new plastering job! :mad:

Or after plastering, painting, wallpapering, laminate flooring and built-in furniture....

securespark said:
The regulations only say that accessories must be so mounted that they are at a minimal risk of damage. It doesn't specify a height.

yes it does try reading part m building regs all sockets now have a minimum height of 450mm

also consider building regs - fire safety electrical apparatus should be fitted on non combustable surfaces hence that they are no longer fitted in the skirtings

kevindgas said:
yes it does try reading part m building regs all sockets now have a minimum height of 450mm
I've tried, and I can't see it.

Can you please tell us where in the BUILDING REGULATIONS it specifies 450mm? (Tip - if you quote from Approved Document M instead you will be mocked).

And while you're at it, please tell us where it says that Part M applies anyway, this not being a new build or refurbishment.

JohnD said:
The main reason for not having them surface mounted on the skirting board (apart from inelegance) is that they get banged by hoovers and furniture.

A second reason is that unless your skirting boards are particularly deep, the flex from plugs plugged into the sockets will have to bend away from the plug. This can lead to premature failure unless tthe plug is mounted upside down i.e. with the earth pin at the bottom.

If you are having the walls plastered anyway, it would be a good time to replace the sockets with flush sockets further up the wall. Might not be a bad idea to replace the skirting too.

Presumably, as they have been looked at recently, they are on incombustible patresses rather than directly on the skirting boards.

I also wondered why flush mounted sockets were preferable over the "surface pattress" type until a clock fell off the wall above one, cracking the plastic back box and leaving live wires exposed! :evil:

Exceptional I know but seems common sense after one is damaged due it protruding from wall or skirting board.

Martin

if you don't wan't the vulnerability to damange or the trouble of burying it theres always

MKK2946.JPG

JohnD said:
If you're going to the trouble of having them moved, you may a well put them at the recommended height of 450mm.

Just so that people know, this height is a minimum recommended in the building regs for refurbs and such-like. It is not applicable to rewires.

JohnD said:
...If you're going to the trouble of having them moved, you may as well put them at the recommended height of 450mm or more (you'll find them easier to reach when you're tired and stiff with a bad back)

sometimes people in old houses get like that too. I know I do.

I know what you said John. Just pointing out to the folk who are not in the know that this is a suggestion, not a requirement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back