engine size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help me with this?i heard a theory that a v12 engine wears a 3rd less than a 4cyl engine :confused: also would a v6 use less petrol in a similar sized car with a 4 cyl engine?.i'd have thought it would be close as the mass of the car would be very similar but the engine works less hard to move the vehicle,so similar mpg :confused:
the reason i ask is i'm getting middle 20's mpg from a 4cyl 20v around town so i'd rather have the extra smoothness & power from a v6 but pay just a bit more at the pumps.
do my idea make any sense :?:

Sponsored Links
My guess, and it is only a guess. A V12 would normally last longer (not 3 times though)because they are usually larger, have more torque and therefore rev less.

As regards straight 4 V V6. of the same capacity. I would say very little difference except the V6(or straight 6) is a lot smoother and more refined.

V formation engines are normally built to save space and weight, not because they are an inherently better design.

As far as economy I would say get rid of any petrol engine and buy a good turbo diesel. Apart from slightly more noise and a bit slower off the line, there is otherwise no comparison. A good diesel is more economical and lasts longer too.

The only disadvantage is the manufacturers are charging to big a premium between the two, If you buy at say a year old though it is not as bad.

thanks d&j for your reply.i've seen a one owner s-type jag on a 2001 y plate for £10k with 65,000 on the clock with full history.i was really after the 2002 model which has a better auto box & more standard spec etc....
seems too good too be true,don't want to lose the vw bullet proof reliability that i've now come to expect.

As far as I know Jag's are much better than they used to be for reliability.

This is good price if it is a genuine car, apparently the repair and servicing costs can be really heavy though, it may pay you to find an independant in this regard.

Lovely car though, I have only driven the older XJ shape and you feel like a million dollars!. Real class, but you really need a cheap private plate. :D

Sponsored Links
Not all V-engines are the same. "Traditional" v-formations use a 90 degree v. However, the VAG V-engines use a very narrow v, 15 degrees, in order to make the engine narrower. Barely classifies as a v. TVR use a 65-degree v, I believe the current MG V6s and V8 use a 90-degree v.

As to how they drive, a few years ago my dad had a Rover 216GTi. Light car (by todays standards) with around 110bhp. He then upgraded to a Cougar 2.5 V6. His impression was, the Rover felt quicker off the line due to it's snappier rev response, but once the V6 was moving the extra torque made it a quick car. He now has a Mondeo ST220 for the weekdays, that is definitely quicker than the 216! Which does of course have the same 3l V6 as the S-type Jag, and it drives very well so I reckon you would have a great car if you combine that engine with Jag ride quality. And outside the car, on idle, you would be hard-pressed to tell the difference in sound between the ST220 V6 and a V8. Very sexy rumble from the dual pipes.

Remember the Jag has a Ford Duratec engine, so is bound to be reliable. I would say go and drive it, but leave your chequebook at home or you might not give yourself time to think! :LOL:

david and julie said:
but you really need a cheap private plate. :D

David... after all of the mature, sound and practical advice you have given on the forums...
slap.gif

I can't believe you have just said this!

Cheap private plates look just that... Cheap! :rolleyes: Look at me! I've got a private plate :LOL:

mildmanneredjanitor said:
david and julie said:
but you really need a cheap private plate. :D

David... after all of the mature, sound and practical advice you have given on the forums...
slap.gif

I can't believe you have just said this!

Cheap private plates look just that... Cheap! :rolleyes: Look at me! I've got a private plate :LOL:

Private plates used to be cheap, you just went into Halfords and ordered a pair of number plates saying "P 00 BUM" or whatever you wanted, for about £10 each. Take the old plates off the car, fix the new ones on and you're done.

Now you have to provide all kinds of documents and can only get number plates saying exactly the same thing the ones you are replacing. What is the point in that?! :mad:

about a year a go i made a bed that looked like a car for my son,i went to halfords to get a number plate made.i asked for the letters r i c h a r d he said have i got the car reg documents to prove the reg exists :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back