Engineered flooring - use existing laminate as subfloor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I will be soon laying new tongue & groove engineered wood flooring throughout the entire ground floor of our house. Reading online I see the key thing really is to have a flat, stable subfloor, and many people talk about laying down 6mm ply. The entire area that I will be laying the new floor on already has a decent layer of laminate. It is is pretty good condition, well layed and is very flat. Is it suitable to lay the engineered wood directly on to the laminate? (possibly with underlay between them). My reasoning is that I already know the laminate is nice and flat but if I rip it up I may well find that the (presumably) conrete floor below is it full of peaks and dips etc.

I'm not going to be removing the skirting as it is in good condition and looks like it was put on fairly recently (before I moved in), so I'll already be using edging strips. I can't see anywhere that the extra height will be a problem. Are there any other downsides to doing this?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
is it solid or suspended floors?any air bricks on the outside walls?
i wouldnt overlay like you want to,i'd lift the laminate but you could try it in one room and then see what happens.
if ther are problems then lift the lot to expose yhe sub-floor and lay the engineered only.

raising floors can cause problems ffor doors, unitplinths, thresholds, and appliances and fixtures and other stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back