Engineered Oak Flooring - What to Look for??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this is a first post for me and am looking for some advice on what to look for and what to avoid when selecting a supplier/product of engineered oak flooring.

We are looking to finish off the living room with a wood floor. The current floor is a mixture of floorboards and chipboard t & g. The area is approx 8m x 4m. What should i be looking for in a good qualtuy product and what should I avoid?

We have found a local wholesaler who has a nice engineered oak board approx 18mm with a 6mm top layer which we both like. We have been given a price of supply and fit for £1920. Is this a realistic figure with the flooring being approx £40 per metre?

Also has anyone got any recommendations for suppliers? I popped into my local B&Q and to be honest there was no comparison.

Grateful for any advice and recommendations that people may have to offer

Sponsored Links
To be honest, it is a rather low price for a load-bearing wood-engineered board, which could mean many short lengths and not high quality bonding between top layer and backing.
There are many copy-cats out there, flogging look-a-likes for cheap prices.

Thanks for the reply.

The floor will not be load bearing as it will float on the existing floor. As mentioned I am trying to find out if this is a reasonable quote. We will be contacting the supplier to get a breakdown of the quote into underlay, flooring and labour etc

Could someone advise as to what would be the best type of underlay? With the laminate flooring in the house we have used the fibre board kind.

The internet is awash with suppliers quoting v attractive prices for engineered boards but am reluctant to go for these as I am unable to the view the product. Can anyone recommend a supplier in the Thurrock area.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Also has anyone got any recommendations for suppliers? I popped into my local B&Q and to be honest there was no comparison.

Grateful for any advice and recommendations that people may have to offer

I had a go with engineering flooring a while ago, and it turned out ok.
Link to original post //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=272825

Link to the specific product in the post is no longer valid - seems to be edging strips now, but was the supplier I used. They seemed ok. Sent 3 free samples on request, after which I revised initial choice of product to the thicker one.
Used their delivery, but I fitted myself. They did do a fitting service I think too, but didn't price.

Looked at BQ at the time, and found the same you did.

Last point I would suggest is make sure you are aware where the final laid floor will come to and if there is any impact. Mine was 14mm and only just fitted under the front door after underlay and some levelling screed had been put in the porch!
as it's your living room, may only be issue for the internall door, which can be easily sorted. But if you have external uPVC patio doors for example, may be an issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back