Engineered Oak in attic trusses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm fitting out a new extension that has a room-in-the-roof. The better half has suggested a wood-block floor and that got me thinking about laying engineered oak (T&G) straight on to the joists. I believe this would require using 20mm thick planks but I'm wondering if it's a recommended practice or would I be better off laying chipboard first?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Steve

Sponsored Links
chipboard is an awful material. Ply is much better. It will hold a nail and does not fall apart or swell if it gets wet.

Wooden floorboards are better laid in long lengths so they span several joists, this improves rigidity and reduces bounce. I have only seen floorboards in softwood in the UK, but presumably it is possible to buy T&G hardwood.

Engineered flooring is really only a fancy kind of ply and seems quite rigid. I don't know if anyone has tested it as unsupported flooring laid direct on joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back