Engineered or Solid Wood for Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we have just completed the kitchen renovation apart from the floor. My girlfriend would love solid wood flooring but I have heard they don't do well in moisture prone areas.

I saw a guide saying that engineered wood might be a better option but I am still cautious of water warping the planks. Does anyone recommend either? I don't like the idea of LVT because the floor may need to be accessed for pipe work in the future.

Please help..

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
if you want access, that means a floating floor. a floating floor means engineered not solid. Some engineered timber floors have a click system that hold them tight together like laminated.

tell your girlfriend engineered flooring is solid wood flooring -there is no difference in respect of how it looks, the top layer is solid wood and can be sanded / repaired as much as a solid wood -assuming you but the 20mm thick stuff with a 5mm or more face.

dont even think about a solid flooring unless you can nail it down, the amount of movement in solid is too much for floating.

Sponsored Links
Have a look at Quickstep laminate as some of the ranges have a waterproof top. Like impressive and majestic

Have a look at Quickstep laminate as some of the ranges have a waterproof top. Like impressive and majestic
Thank you. Funnily enough I phoned up Lifestyle Flooring UK in Leeds and they recommended the same. Quick-Step Impressive looks fab

Engineered will be fine but be aware of the surface coating, it is this which will define how practical an Engineered is in any area. A Laqcuered finish means you walk on a coating that will not need waxing,oiling or polishing and is wipe cleanable, it's also resistant to staining and water marks from spills. UV Oiled finish means you walk on the wood itself rather than a coating, there is some extra protection to the oil and you can oil scratches etc as a repair if you need to. A Oiled finish is very difficult to maintain, not unlike putting a solid kitchen work surface on the floo and walking on it. It will be the least practical finish to live with and will require regular maintenance to keep looking its best.

Engineered will be fine but be aware of the surface coating, it is this which will define how practical an Engineered is in any area. A Laqcuered finish means you walk on a coating that will not need waxing,oiling or polishing and is wipe cleanable, it's also resistant to staining and water marks from spills. UV Oiled finish means you walk on the wood itself rather than a coating, there is some extra protection to the oil and you can oil scratches etc as a repair if you need to. A Oiled finish is very difficult to maintain, not unlike putting a solid kitchen work surface on the floo and walking on it. It will be the least practical finish to live with and will require regular maintenance to keep looking its best.

Will the second product here https://lifestyleflooringuk.co.uk/engineered-wood-flooring be suitable for the kitchen?

Avoid the HDF Core product, very bad idea, much better to go for the multiply core product.
Thanks for your advice mate. I have found one that the girlfriend and I agree on. We're going to go for the
190mm Pearl Satin Lacquered Engineered European Oak Wood Flooring 14/3mm Thick

Thanks for your advice mate. I have found one that the girlfriend and I agree on. We're going to go for the
190mm Pearl Satin Lacquered Engineered European Oak Wood Flooring 14/3mm Thick

That sounds good.

Remember, never wash wood floors to clean them, all you need to do is sweep, hoover or use a spray cleaner for lacquered floors and a microfibre cloth. Woods Good and Bona are two manufactures of decent floor cleaning product, there are many others too. Mopping a wood floor will kill it. In addition, use felt pads under chair feet etc.

Will the second product here https://lifestyleflooringuk.co.uk/engineered-wood-flooring be suitable for the kitchen?

We have been looking for the same flooring and went to Lifestyle Flooring UK but it looks like their website is down. After doing some Googling it turns out they rebranded last year. Luckily the same helpful people just with a different name. Apparently they had to for legal reasons as Lifestyle Floors took them to court for the name issue. Anyway they are now called Stories Flooring so in case anyone clicked that old link of mine and went to a broken link I thought I had best put this here. This is their new website and engineered wood page https://storiesflooring.co.uk/collections/engineered-wood-flooring. Also because we want the flooring in our living room now and are existing customers, they gave us a 15% discount which was nice. Lovely chaps.

You can get tiles that look like timber. They're great.

(Not as warm as wood though, but I have UFH so doesn't matter in this respect)

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back