Engineered wooden floor over insulation on concrete floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got to make up about 50mm height in total.

I'd like to install a floating engineered wooden floor with click lock plank sizes 125mm wide, 1200mm long and 10.5mm thick.

The concrete slab floor has only just been laid (6 weeks ago) and it already has quite a bit of insulation (100mm if i recall correctly) but more wouldn't hurt and can be quite cheap i feel.

What is anyone's best advice for brand and name of floor insulation panelling that I could lay some underlay then the engineerd floor directly on top of? Is this even possible or would i need another layer of chipboard or something else on the insulation?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Jon

Sponsored Links
Thanks pinenot, it is indeed a similar question but not identical. Let me just ask the one i really want an answer to.

Can I lay a floating engineered wooden floor (not chipboard) onto a layer of celotex (or similar) floor insulation?

click lock plank sizes 125mm wide, 1200mm long and 10.5mm thick
Would be laid on an underlay sheet

I have searched for a long time for this answer and couldnt find one so i thought i'd start a new thread.

Jon

A 9.5 mm thick floor is not the same as 18 mm but I don't see why it wouldn't work, after all you would be laying on a solid surface, therefore the load spread would be better. I would certainly give it a go...pinenot

Sponsored Links
All I would say is you will need to ensure the surface the insulation is sitting on is perfectly flat, otherwise it will flex when walked upon.

Thanks or your replies guys. (I assume you're both men :D )

My thoughts on the matter are that the planks are indeed less thick than chipboard but will be in full contact at all times with the underlay and then insulation, giving a much more uniform support than chipboard suspended over battens or joists.

The floor is a freshly poured 5m x 5m concrete slab and I had the dubious pleasure of seeing one or two puddles on it but they were large, shallow and evenly spaced, indicating to me no more then a few mm of waviness.

Maybe we can include a self levelling screed on the slab prior to insulation?

I'm thinking that as long as no-one on here has serious concerns about the insulation deforming for some reason then we'll go for it.

I have one sheet of celotex left over and i can trial the setup too.

Thanks once again. Jon

I am going to do this with my living room. We don't have any insulation in the slab at all (1908's house) so I plan to lay 12mm Celotex with thick engineered oak floor on top. So long as the floor is perfectly flat I can't see any problems with it and hopefully it'll take the edge off the floor coldness.

Change simple Celotex to isocynurate insulation and you've got it man...pinenot

I wouldn't advise laying a 10.5mm laminate directly onto insulation sheets. My advice is lay an 18mm chipboard deck and then laminate onto that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back