Engineering bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we need to build a small brick pier in our house. We've been told by one builder to use engineering bricks, but another had said he won't use them. Is there a problem with using them for this? Thanks

Sponsored Links
It’s likely to be a strength requirement, has a structural engineer spec’d it?
Often engineering bricks are required for padstones, piers etc

Who ever specified the pier should also specify what to build it out of and also how to build it.

Sponsored Links
It is to form a pier. We have a steel that goes into a wall at the moment and is supported by a steel on the other side. The builder wants to build a small pier for added support to the wall. He used breeze blocks to start with, but we said we wanted bricks instead so that it tied in with the brick wall. We have a whole load of engineering bricks so are hoping these are ok to use?

What does the calculations for the beam, which will be required for building control, say?

Whether or not you need a pier depends on the load the beam imparts to it, and the state of the existing wall.
A good material to use for a small pier is concrete common brick. Engineering brick is OK - it has a higher crushing strength than concrete brick - but is usually perforated, which reduces the overall strength and is also difficult to cut.
Your SE will have the figures to hand and should be able to tell you the size of pier, and its material.

A good number of times 'can't' 'wont' and 'shouldn't! ' turned out to be code for 'would prefer not to', 'i don't like him/her', 'I can't be arsed'.
I am thinking of the other builder that 'won't use them.'

'Why?' causes all sorts of defensiveness which true professionals rarely get upset about when they know their stuff and understand how customers want to understand what's going on. It's usually the less knowledgeable primmadonnas that take the question to mean 'I know you are wrong and...'

In a similar situation the brickie I was labouring for said they would have been fine but they don't cut down easily with your trowel and send shards off like glass. But the customer was fobbed off.

Should the bricklayer be cutting them with a trowel? The perforated ones particularly do not cut well.

Should the bricklayer be cutting them with a trowel? The perforated ones particularly do not cut well.
Depends if he's a proper bricklayer or just someone who bought a trowel from Wilko last week.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back