Is it possible to save the bricks from a brick pier?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a carriage drive way where on the left side entrance (where there is one brick pier touching the neighbouring fence, then drive way, then a brick pier which we removed completely after we got permission to drop a kerb and build our drive way entrance, leaving the jagged edge of a wall for 5-7m then another pier, then exit drive way then a pier and then 1m of wall connected to the final pier touching the other neighbour's fence.

I now need to widen the exit of my carriage drive by removing one brick pier connected to the small retaining wall whilst at the same time build a new brick pier on the opposite side of my garden which will be the entrance to my carriage drive way.

How easy or difficult is it to carefully remove the bricks when demolishing the pier (which was built in the 1980s) and carefully use them to reconstruct the other pier? It is quite a solid wall. And also how can I ensure that the face of the remaining pier which will have the retaining wall attached to it removed, remains somewhat presentable?

I'll try and upload some pics when I can.

Sponsored Links
In my experience, cleaning up and re-using bricks that were fixed with lime mortar is easy. Well fixed bricks with cement mortar in my experience are virtually impossible to clean up neatly. Unless there's some trick I don't know about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back