Engineering genius required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I require a short length of stainless tube an appropriate size for a length of M24 threaded rod to pass through it. I realise the obvious solution is 30mm OD tube with 3mm wall but understand M24 threads are about 24.4mm?.

I could file the tops of the threads on the threaded rod but just wondering if anyone has a better solution.

Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
but understand M24 threads are about 24.4mm?.

No, threads are always under their nominal size, because the tip of each thread doesn't come right to a sharp point, it is already rounded or has a flattened top, like in this picture.

Cross-sectional-view-of-ISO-metric-screw-thread-after-7.png

I think you'll find the actual thread diameter is fractionally smaller than the expected size, Mike.....the possible exception is where the threads are rolled rather than cut.
I think you'll get away with your idea just fine. Is there a branch of Metal Supermarkets anywhere near? They are more than happy to let you examine and test at your leisure.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone, Sounds like good news. No metalsupermarket nearby, I live near Whitby, N Yorks. The 30mm with 2mm wall would leave the threaded rod slopping about and I need it to be a bearing type fit. There are a couple of stainless steel engineering shops in Whitby, will call to see them next day or so.

Thanks

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back