English bond with 3/4 bats in stretcher course?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening,

Wonder if anyone can help please?

I'm planning to build a 600mm high retaining wall in my garden and I've fallen at the first hurdle unfortunately - trying to work out the bond.
I like the appearance and the strength of English bond so I'm going with that.
The wall will be a 1-brick wall.

I've worked out corners with queen closers in the dry, but I'm stuck at something much more fundamental.

My wall length needs to be 4377.5mm - or as good as (i.e. 39x headers plus 38x 10mm mortar joints).
There are two immovable objects which are forcing this upon me.
The problem I have is making the bond work on the stretcher course with an odd number of headers in the header course.
Can I just use two 3/4 bats at either end of the stretcher course to kick the perpends out of alignment?
I read somewhere that 'bats are not allowed in English bond', and I know I'm only building a garden wall, but I like doing things properly and wondered what the pros would do.

Thanks for any pointers.
Andy.

Edit: After some further Googling, it seems I may be describing a variant of Dutch bond?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You should be able to lose or gain a 1/4 brick over that distance to make it work. But as a last resort, 3/4's may have to do.

Dutch bond has the 3/4's on the header course, replacing the header and closer, IIRC.

There can't be a 3/4 on the end of a stretcher course, as that will give a straight joint with the closer below. For that to work, there could be no closer next to the end header. That could work but I don't recall what that Frankenbond is.

Using 3/4 bats on the stretcher course at the quoin is an acceptable method of getting 1/4 bond. Sometimes known as a English bond with a Dutch corner.

Dutch bond has the 3/4's on the header course, replacing the header and closer, IIRC.
3/4s on the stretcher course woody or you would have a straight joint at the end, unless you started the stretcher course with a header.

Sponsored Links
It's easy to gain or lose over 4.4m. Stop fretting over rigid measurements, bricklaying is not like that. Work it out with a dry run first.

3/4s on the stretcher course woody or you would have a straight joint at the end, unless you started the stretcher course with a header.
Here are the rules! Rule 1(b) to be exact.

Not only that, it's modern practice to boot.

foto_no_exif (2).jpg

And OP, here's Dutch Bond. Note the 1/2 next to the quoin 3/4 every fourth course.

foto_no_exif (3).jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back