Unusual brick bonds.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This might be one for noseall.

I am going to build a garden wall at the front of our house and have thought about Flemish bond,

flemishsample.jpg

Or English bond,

englishsample.jpg

Both of which would look nice, however is there a more unusual brick bond which would look good in a garden wall approx 3 feet high.

Not Stretcher or American obviously ;)

Sponsored Links
what you have to remember about these bonds is , they look great from the 'face 'side but can look a little untidy from the backside.:cool:

flemish looks ok but i think it is a little TOO fussy particularly if the brick kiln baking process renders the header ends a different colour to the stretcher face. it tends to look like a chess board.

old english is a beautiful bond, both strong and characteristic. it looks well with a header brick and tile crease on top too.

you can incorporate decorative panels into the wall such as herringbone or basket weave, but again don't try and be too fussy or it will look too overpowering.

remember, less is more in some cases. ;)

p.s couldn't help noticing you are a golfer. an ally at last. :LOL:

Maybe one of the garden wall bonds. I would normally favour English garden wall bond myself but 3ft may not be high enough to show it off. Flemish garden wall bond might look a bit more interesting.

noseall said:
p.s couldn't help noticing you are a golfer. an ally at last. :LOL:

My interpretation of the game of golf leaves alot to be desired, i am sorry to say ;)

Thanks for the advise noseall.

Sponsored Links
Aqua said:
How does garden wall bond differ from normal wall bond :confused:

my interpretation of a garden wall bond is, stretchers every 5 courses with the sixth being entirely headers. this is how many builders would do a garden wall unless otherwise stated. ;)

For a 3ft wall I would go with 3 courses of stretchers per header. The 3ft is the problem really - not much room to show off. With a garden wall bond you can get a reasonable finish on both sides, which is difficult to do with a standard bond.

a simple bond with a herringbone panels looks nice at that height.

or you could use those nice 70s precast see through concrete blocks! :LOL:

thats exactly what i meant, and you could use thakeham blocks as well....ummmm nice! :LOL:

Thanks for all the input.

The project is still in the planning stage and may be some time before it is started (garage to finish first ;) )

However, the technical difficulty is not an issue as my good friend and colleague is quite the expert with a brick trowel.

As jeds has pointed out, 3 feet high does not leave much room for artistic impression :LOL:

Therefore a change of height may be in order. As the wall is at the front of the house this brick work will have to be stunning, hence the question for different or unusual bonds.

70s precast see through concrete blocks Thermo, why didn't i think of that ;)

P.S.

While taking about bricks,

For another job completely, does anyone know where i can get a brick with 2007 cast into the face, i saw a few with 2000 cast into them at the millennium :confused:

most brick companies do them, might be a bit pricey though.

Thanks Thermo :)

Having had a good look at the link provided by Noseall (thanks), i do like the look of Monk bond.

By the way, the wall will terminate in an 8 brick square gate post, i have thought of building piers/towers at intervals along the wall, intersected with black wrought iron horizontal rods.

Although, am still thinking at the mo ;)

Rat trap bond ;) ..or panels filled with knapped flints :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back