Enlarge Internal Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to enlarge an internal door from 810mm to about 2000mm, by removing the red section of wall shown on the attached sketch.

GALLERY]

Wall A and the red section are both internal block walls, supporting block walls on the first floor. I've searched the forum but can't find the advice I need, which is :-
1) Will it be sufficient to support the new steel on the existing block wall or will I need to put in additional support.
2) If the existing block wall is sufficient how far does the steel need to be set in at either end.

If the info. is already here somewhere I'd be grateful for the link.

Sponsored Links
Structurally speaking what you are trying to achieve is fairly typical and could probably be dealt with using a proprietary 'catnic' type box lintel.

This would sit on 150mm end bearings directly upon the masonry via a mortar bed.

However all buildings are different. But, i would say that if there are no excessive point loads then you may well be looking at a standard box.

Only an S.E. could really tell you.....:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back