Internal wall - enlarging opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anybody please advise?
We went to enlarge an internal opening. The wall is breeze and has what looks like a Birtley Supergalv beam in. It is 1050mm wide spanning a standard doorway. The plasterboard has been removed to give an idea of size of opening. To the right of the 1st picture. the wall does not look to be tied into the adjacent block wall (looks like thermalite blocks.) Would it be ok to tie the new lintel into end wall as it looks like if we attempt to leave a nib, it will be very insecure. So feel that I would be better getting rid altogether. Your opinions will be gratefully received.

Gary.

Sponsored Links
Hi Gary, I see no pictures :eek: If you mean sit the lintel on the wall that is at 90' to your door; not a problem, if you're fitting a door then just attach the liner to the wall.

Hi Pred,

Thanks for responding. I have created a photo album with 2 pictures on but don't know why nobody can see them! Can you tell me?

Thanks in advance,

Gary.

With that type of house the internal block walls are tied to the external walls with steel mesh

You can take the wall out and sit the lintel on the external wall without a nib

Its never wise to fit linings directly to walls at 90° to them, so fit a timber up the external wall first, and then fit the lining to this. This timber should be a bit thinner than the architrave so that the architrave covers it and fits to the will without a gap - so 50mm or 38mm CLS

Sponsored Links
Hi Pred,

Thanks for responding. I have created a photo album with 2 pictures on but don't know why nobody can see them! Can you tell me?

Thanks in advance,

Gary.

Have you ever heard of the expression "The Blind Leading the Blind?" I am a complete technopheobe according to my son, if I gave you advice on the pictures you would probably end up putting your entire album on DIYnot. :confused: :confused:

I know my limitations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back