Moving internal door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to move an internal door frame about 18inches one way. Although the wall is non load bearing it is built from block work. My question is would I need to support the blocks with a new lintel or would the frame support the weight of the two blocks above the area it has been moved accross to? Thanks

Sponsored Links
No the frame won't support the wall. Well it will, but the plaster would just crack and come loose.

Unless its thick piece, thin flat bars can bow.

You can use timber if you then fix mesh over it to stop shrinkage cracking. 4x3 or two 4x2 timbers,or whatever works to the first mortar joint. Make sure they are dry and acclimatised to the room first.

Unless the blocks above the door are sound and self supporting, its often easier and quicker to just take the two course off and then rebuild it, rather than messing about trying to slot something in.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back