Ensuite Bath in Middle of House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to create an ensuite bathroom, which will be located in the 'middle' of the house next to a stud partition wall. What I mean is the location is in the middle of the long joist run from the front to the back of the house. The joists seem the most flexible at this point, and I suspect this is probably their weakest point.

How can I strengthen the joist area around the bath? Also, should I put down wood supports underneath the bath to spread the load over several joists?

Sponsored Links
Surely there is either a well built stud wall with wallplate taking the load of the joists or in older house a brick wall?

I will check about the wallplate, but is there a recommended method of strenghtening joists to accomodate bathtubs?

Probably doubling up of joists under the proposed location of bath (and more) and noggins to tie every thing in.
I would consult with a builder, worth paying him a drink to have a look at it. :D

Sponsored Links
Joists are very strong if they can hold their asimuth, but if they start to twist they buckle fast. This is why Victorians used herringboan structures, which are a pain for us threading pipe, but add greatly to the strength of the joists. Therefore a means to prevent twisting plus a little strength in the vertical plain would improve them no end. For instance fixing another joist to the existing joist, say on two of the joists where the bath feet would bear down. If the structure of the building is as I would expect then you have chosen the strongest point and won't require any additional measures.

Paul Barker said:
Joists are very strong if they can hold their asimuth,
:?: .....................................but can they hold a Bathenuf...how old is the house?

edited to correct quote

Victorian Townhouse. Distance from front to back of house is about 12m - internal partition walls are non load bearing.

So there probably is herringbone strengthening.........but I can`t imagine a span of 36 plus feet unsupported :eek: Anyway a piece of angle iron is better under the legs to bridge as many joists as poss...better than wood ..unless you`re putting in a "period" bath without a panel.

Perhaps the joists run side to side, rather than front to back. Isn't it important to note if the bath runs parallel to the joists, in which case weight is less spread out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back