Ensuite waste

Sponsored Links
Look at the pic again and note the height of the soil pipe.

Bit high for a bedroom :!: ;)

John,

May be an idea to blow at the outlet to clear any backlog (sort of reverse syphoning). When you do this, make sure you clear any stray leaves from the outlet first and gargle with disinfectant afterwards.

Regards

Sponsored Links
I`ll come and have a look , but I need tea/coffee and some lunch ;) Serious offer despite taking the pee.......in amongst all the replies ,did I see you are in Hillingdon ?...I could borrow a satnav....I am intrigued , my e-mail is in my profile and I live in Sussex

My observation was that some people are assuming the OP has done his own loft conversion. ie converting his loft to a bedroom and should have strenthened the floor added stairs etc. I pointed out that he's not actually said that.

DESL said:
Stem extract from OP

I have recently installed a toilet and sink in the corner of my main bedroom.

Installing a WC & sink in an existing bedroom is hardly a "loft conversion" is it?

The bedroom is obviously in the roofspace by the photograph, but as I said in my last post. I used to live in a house that looks similar to the OP but was built new with a loft bedroom.

Perhaps the OP would like to clarify. Did you actually construct the bedroom in the loft, or was it existing?

Saved by the snow! The council man isn't coming now. :D

Thanks for the offer NigeF, but I'm going to do this the proper way now, I realise my mistake and I'll do what the council want me to.

Thank you everyone for your kind words of support, my eyes haev been well opened now, and most of you have been very supportive.

John

The loft was already done when we moved in - I think it was the previous owners. It was used as a store room rather than a bedroom, but all the wallpaper and carpet was there. All I did was put in the bathroom.

John

Good to hear John, good luck and let us know how you go on. Make sure you get the floor checked out in the loft though, if they were just using it as a store room, they might not have strengthened it, as stated before, this is a neccessity if using it permanently as a habitable room.

J

this is the part that led us to belive he had converted the loft (see page 5 quite far down)

jgsmuzzy said:
Did you get planning permission to convert the loft?
john_nicholls said:
What permission do I need for the loft then?
but he has confirmed now it was done by the previous owner, allthough he mentions 'store room rather than a bedroom' which makes me think it may not of been a conversion done to regs!

john_nicholls, when the house was bought was the loft classed as a bedroom or extra storage space?

Ok, so I have a result!

We came to an arrangement where I have to put a swept tee in place of the hopper and vent the pipe properly (apparently this pipe does go into the sewer).

If I take the bed away from the loft when he comes round to check he agrees that this can be seen as "storage". Becuase the leectrics were done by the last owner, he says he's not bothered bou them.

So, lucky me no big fines, just a small "consultation fee". :D

Thats a happy ending for you but DO ask him for advice in the event of a fire.

You may need to put a separate means of escape in and linked smoke detectors for your own peace of mind :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back