Ensuite waste

John

You seem to have a rather thick skin and that tied to your lack of understanding is amusing, in a 'trade' humour sort of way.

The local BC and the water authority will fine you for sending sewage waste down the grey water waste system.

Grey water is bathwater, sinks, rainwater. Sewage is pee and poo. The two shouldn't be mixed, but you can link grey water, such as baths and shower to poo waste- you can't do it the other way round (poo to grey water waste).

Loft conversions come under a heap of regulations, almost every part of the building regs from A->P (and beyond).

The Building control people have to sanction the loft project, even if PP isn't required. The sort of things they look at:-

* Steels / wood support trusses for the new loft structure (a standard loft floor isn't designed for habitable space and is 15-18% of the required strength
* Insulation, lagging and thermal materials
* Materials spec's, strengths and fire requirements
* Electrics (part P)
* Windows (part L)
* Fire doors
* Linked smoke detection
* Door closures to whole house
* Waste pipes
* Stairs and separate means of escape

Quite a big lump of the work can be achieved by a serious DIYer, but some HAS to be done professionally.

As it stands you have broken dozens of rules and I would suggest that you back track and find a builder who might be able to help steer you towards remedial and corrective works.

I would cease using the toilet immediately due to health issues and keep the kids window shut (smells will contaminate the room via open hopper).

I would also suggest that you talk to friend and neighbours and see if they can recommend anyone to you. Alternatively look for houses that have had obvious good work done recently and knock on the door and get the trade persons contact details.
You seem to have an unhealthy attitude to trade persons, hence (in part) why the post has been jocular- your attempt may be admirable, but they breach more regs than the worse trader would ever do :cry:

Sponsored Links
Has anyone got any experience of the Hillingdon building control people? Are they reasoanable, or am I going to have a lot of trouble?

Please keep your fingers crossed for me, i have just had a call back and someone is coming in the morning to have a look. I might try to change the outside pipes before he comes so it doesn't get me fined. If I take away the hopper and use a 3 way junction, will that be enogh?

Thanks

John

Bahco said:
john_nicholls said:
There was a 10mm cable for the electric shower downsairs so I used that up to the loft and changed the shower downstairs for a normal one.

Are both on separate supply cables and protected with an RCD :?: :eek:

As stated you will not be able to sell your property without a building regs certificate :rolleyes:

an RCD is only a recommendation (one which I'd recommend too) as a form of protection and needs to be tested every three months for mechanical interuption, so what fuse have you got connected Jonny Nich? What have you got in terms of isolation, have you got an extractor fan fitted to remove the humidity in the air in the room.

Part P means you can only do the work if you notify the council BEFORE doing the work and then get them to test it off afterwards or have a qualified registered Part P electrician do the work. Plumbers get paid the rates they do due to the lack of them and not much else.

Bog pipe into a Hopper, it's gonna smell real bad in the summer if it's not fixed soon!!

Sponsored Links
john_nicholls said:
Has anyone got any experience of the Hillingdon building control people? Are they reasoanable, or am I going to have a lot of trouble?

Please keep your fingers crossed for me, i have just had a call back and someone is coming in the morning to have a look. I might try to change the outside pipes before he comes so it doesn't get me fined. If I take away the hopper and use a 3 way junction, will that be enogh?

Thanks

John

Just call a plumber it will be the cheapest option. (not that I am one)

Just don't answer the door when the council come round and don't flush use toilet either!!

john_nicholls said:
Who cares? You can't choose your LABC, or indeed your BCO. :rolleyes:

Please keep your fingers crossed for me, i have just had a call back and someone is coming in the morning to have a look.
You have GOT to be kidding. You've insulted all plumbers with sweeping generalisations, you haven't apologised, you have a mean nature, and you have no regard for the law. I, for one, hope you get all that's coming to you.

I might try to change the outside pipes before he comes so it doesn't get me fined. If I take away the hopper and use a 3 way junction, will that be enogh?
Yeah, please do that - it will seal your fate.

I'm sorry, I didnt mean to tar all plumbers with the same brush! I know a lot of plumbers are good. My point is that i dont know which are good and which arent. And i thought I could do the job myself, didnt realise there was so much burocrasy in plumbing :D

Anyway, your the one with a mean nature, you've called me a tosser twice now! :(

john_nicholls said:
I'm sorry, I didnt mean to tar all plumbers with the same brush! I know a lot of plumbers are good.
Oh - how do you know that?! Have you ever engaged one?

My point is that i dont know which are good and which arent.
And my point is that you made no attempt to find out - your apology is late, hollow and worthless.

And i thought I could do the job myself, didnt realise there was so much burocrasy in plumbing :D
Here we go again - you just can't help yourself. The thing that you believe to be beaurocracy, or "burocrasy" (sic.), is a set of rules that is actually designed to uphold the rather excellent water quality that you enjoy washing with in your illegal loft conversion, and to prevent your house coming crashing down on your new baby's head, and to prevent you electrocuting yourself or your family, and to reduce the risk of fire and to increase your chance of escape in the event that there is one.

Anyway, your the one with a mean nature, you've called me a t****r twice now! :(
OK - how about you coming up with a word that succinctly captures your abject stupidity, miserliness, ignorance and criminal negligence.

I think you mean bureaucracy.

MOD 2

can we have this back on topic and stop the slanging match :idea:

John

You asked for advice then insulted the people who were prpared to advice

I'm sorry, I didnt mean to tar all plumbers with the same brush! I know a lot of plumbers are good.

99% of all trades are honest hard working ppl and yes hourly rates may seem high but how much do you pay a garage to service your car?

TV programmes depict us a load off rip off merchants because 1% are real cowboys.
We (professional tradesmen) have high overheads to retain our professional status, we have to work hard in gaining customers confidence.

I bet if you ate a bit of humble pie on here there will be someone in your locality on this forum who would come and sort your dog's breakfast.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back