ensuite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have asked a few questions now about my proposed ensuite on the 2nd storey of my house. I will be getting a plumber in to advise but can you tell me if it is possible to take a feed from the sink on the 1st floor and use this to feed the new on suite on the 2nd floor and the shower etc. I have floor boards so hoping it can routed this way.
The other option would be to have the soil pipe run above the floor against internal wall allowing my to make sure i get the correct fall and i could then box the pipe in. Would this work?
Can the sink and shower waste pipe run under the floor as i assume its smaller pipe dimensions and then join the waste stack on the external wall.
Once outside the waste pipe probably has a distance of around 7m to reach the existing soil pipe as long as this has the correct fall on it i assume its not a problem.
Thanks Lee

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I have asked a few questions now about my proposed ensuite on the 2nd storey of my house. I will be getting a plumber in to advise but can you tell me if it is possible to take a feed from the sink on the 1st floor and use this to feed the new on suite on the 2nd floor and the shower etc. I have floor boards so hoping it can routed this way.

Yes - but the whole thing depends on water pressure (conventional or combi - which do you have?)

The other option would be to have the soil pipe run above the floor against internal wall allowing my to make sure i get the correct fall and i could then box the pipe in. Would this work?

Yes
Can the sink and shower waste pipe run under the floor as i assume its smaller pipe dimensions and then join the waste stack on the external wall.

Depends which way the joists are running since you can't notch more than an eighth of the depth out.

Once outside the waste pipe probably has a distance of around 7m to reach the existing soil pipe as long as this has the correct fall on it i assume its not a problem.
Thanks Lee

Probably

Thanks for the reply,
I am on a combi boiler, but thinking of putting a pump in for the shower.
The joists run the correct way for the pipe for the sink and shower.
I think the option of boxing the waste would be best, do you think?

I am on a combi boiler, but thinking of putting a pump in for the shower.

You can't have a pump for the shower since hot and cold will be mans fed, and you're not allowed to put a pump on the mains

The joists run the correct way for the pipe for the sink and shower.
I think the option of boxing the waste would be best, do you think?

Will look neater than pipe, if you have to have it above floor level. MDF or ply will be fine, possibly tiled or painted.

Sponsored Links
I'd be wary of using MDF in a shower room, as it has a trendency to swell and flake in humid conditions. Ply would be more durable.

I'd be wary of using MDF in a shower room, as it has a trendency to swell and flake in humid conditions. Ply would be more durable.

True - was thinking of waterproof mdf sealed and tiled, but WBP ply (sometimes referred to as brazilian in your diy stores ) would be far safer

I should have guessed that waterproof MDF was available :oops:

I've never heard of WBP being called Brazilian either - not sure I like the sound of it!

I assume that the combi boiler would be able to provide the pressure required for the shower on the top floor ensuite. I had a pump on my old shower at my previous address but take it that this was okay because it was on a water tank fed system. Is there anyway of having a power shower type setup or is not reuired on a combi system.
Cheers Lee

If mains pressure if ok then combi will more than suffice. Your plumber should test and advise accordingly.

You are correct about the use of a pump at your previous address being connected with conventional system.

Saw WBP ply at b&q last weekend - they labelled it brazilian (source country I suppose)

Unless your mains pressure is very low, you should get quite a forceful shower with a combi. There are ways of having a pumped shower with a combi, but unless you're putting in a steam cubicle with body jets and a huge showerhead, there'll probably be no need.

The plan is that we have a shower room and bathroom on the 1st floor with 2 bedrooms and on the 2nd floor we have a big double bedroom and a box single room. We intend to remove the bathroom on the 1st floor and turn into a bedroom leaving 3 bedrooms and a shower room with wc etc.
2nd floor turn the box room into the ensuite for the big double bedroom. This keeps the house as 4 bedroom but now with a master ensuite. We staying in the house and no plans on moving so this is not a money making exercise,although i understand that a ensuite does increase value.
Just wondered what peoples thoughts were.
Also think from the replies i have had that my best options are,
1. Take the feed from the pipes in the 1st floor bathroom and route them upstairs to the 2nd floor. Also i assume all the plumber has to do with the old bath from the 1st floor is to cap them off under the floor boards as this will become a bedroom.
2. Run the soil pipe above the floor boards in the ensuite allowing me to get the required run on the pipe and then just box it in.

Cheers Lee

Bit confused about first floor - you currently have 2 beds and a bathroom which you are converting to 3 beds and a shower room? How do you change 3 rooms into 4?

Second floor currently 1 bed and boxroom to become 1bed with ensuite?

Anyway, am sure that you know what you're talking about. Plumbing side sounds right, but you should phone your local planning dept and run it by them since there are regulations about new bathroom installations and rearranging internal walls (box room -closing existing door and creating new one within bedroom).

Hi,
Sorry not clear on my part, the first floor currently has 2 bedrooms, 1 x shower room and 1 bathroom. Gonna get rid of bathroom change to bedroom, leaving 3 bedrooms and shower room on first floor.
Lee

Hi,
Sorry not clear on my part, the first floor currently has 2 bedrooms, 1 x shower room and 1 bathroom. Gonna get rid of bathroom change to bedroom, leaving 3 bedrooms and shower room on first floor.
Lee

Well now we know.

Ideally the plumber should cut the pipes back under the bath as much as possible to rmove chace of bacteria forming in deadleg. Given the likely distances involved, probably not necessary.

Good luck with it all anyway. If your plumber says anything you don't understand, feel free to ask on here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back