Entire house needs glazing - costs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to buy a house that is 30 years since it was last touched...and needs everything!

It currently has aluminium secondary glazing, 8 windows, 3 windows are large bays, one external door and a set of french doors leading onto the garden are needed.

I am within M25 near Heathrow so know I'll pay a premium...but any idea how much and if i went ahead with the whole house how long might I expect it to take? I need to figure out if I have enough money to even attempt to fix this house in my lifetime :LOL:

Any advice would be great - Joe

Sponsored Links
2 - 4 days but like any thing major, get several quotes first and quality costs

I have just had quotes for my home. Seven windows, two very large ones, new front door. Prices start at £5K. I am in norfolk. All I would say is don't bother with the 'six windows for £1,300' brigade. You wont get a quality product, and it's mostly a ploy to get a foot in the door.

Good advice,you get what you pay for.

And always ask to inspect some of their work they've already done.

Sponsored Links
well observed nstreet. The 8 windows for five bob offers are just a ploy to get you to invite a salesman in.

It is obviously impossible to say how much your windows may cost. However, when I am looking at rough estimates for works for my clients I reckon on £350-£500 per window.

The best bet is to approach 3 or 4 FENSA registred installers and have them provide you with quotations. Ask for references and check them. Don't pay any money up front, only on completion. Make sure the quote includes disposing of your old windows, making good, and providing a certificate of compliance with the building regulations.

Ask them, to be sure that they fully consider whether any of the windows (and bay windows often are) are load bearing and that thier design takes this fully into account. I recently acted as expert witness in a dispute between a homeowner and a household name installer and the installer had not even considered the structural implications of replacing the bay windows. The remedial works cost far in excess of the what the windows did.

And finally make sure that all of the above is put in writing.

On the surface it seems your quotes are about right though.

Thanks for all your advice, it actually sounds a bit cheaper than expected and a lot quicker than I thought it would take.

I had never even thought of things like 'load bearing' windows so thanks for that one :D

I must admit I was tempted by the 8 windows for £1300 etc. but I'll be avoiding them now!

Thanks again.

artyjoe said:
I must admit I was tempted by the 8 windows for £1300 etc. but I'll be avoiding them now!
I have seen these type of 8 windows for a price,they are okay but very basic and you get what you pay for.Ideal for those who are on a tight budget.

I am just having 7 windows and a door replaced and am paying £3000 + VAT. However, bear in mind what I do for a living and you'll realise that the installer is probably doing this at not much more than cost (no doubt hopeful that more work will come his way, and it probably will if he does a good job). Some of the windows are large so I would have expected Joe Bloggs to pay nearer to £4000 + VAT. This is for top quality virgin reinforced PVC with good quality locks and fittings, Pilkington K glass, Argon Filled.

They've certainly have come down a lot in price,I remembered people was paying between £10k to £15k a few years ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back