Entry phone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone can help me with the following:
Recently our entry phone system started to behave irratically.
The entry phone system serves 6 flats in a 100yr old building and was fitted ages ago.

Today I measured the +/- terminal in the outside unit and indeed there was no voltage.
However, I can't fix this as I can't see where the power is coming from. The supply cable (looks like regular phone cable) disappears into to wall.

What is the common place for the powersupply? Could it be from one of the flats?

Sponsored Links
It should be in a riser, communal cupboard or main services area (where the feeds for power and services enter the building),

I'd have thought that the entry phone is the freeholders responsibility,

Sorry forgot to say this is a Scottish tennement flat, freehold I think.

Anyway, I'll check the box that serves the stairlights tonight.
Maybe it is hidden in there.

Sponsored Links
The clue should be a fused spur off the building supply.

Usually just inside the close high up on the wall, beware of the (often very ancient) mains supply wiring.

As said above, your factor should sort this but then again they may be totally useless or ridiculously overpriced, or you may not have one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back